1.17.2007

The Fantastic Four

Cute little bunch of cats right? They are the latest litter of kitties from the alley cats that live behind the shop I run. Believe me, there are bunches of cats running around in the back alleyway, and they are all mean as mean old alley cats should be. But I feed them and try to make friends with them anyway!

My friend next door, Signe, heard crying kitties one afternoon. She left to run errands and I continued the search which lead me to the crawl space entrance at the back of the interior decor shop I run. I waited until Signe got back before I put on a protective layer of socks and extra layers and dropped down into the scary hole to find the kitties. You are asking yourself if this is necessary right? I did too! But I investigated outback and found a not too happy mommy cat hanging around the vent where she used to have access to the crawl space. Our landlord has declared war with the alley cats and decided to start trapping them and blocked all kitty access to the building. There was no way Signe was going in that hole and there was no way I was leaving the kitties to figure it out themselves.
Signe's husband Nick is a self proclaimed {and since proven} Kitty Whisperer. He saved the day when he came and took the four tiny things home and raised them like the best mamma cat out there. The two on the left found a permanent home with Nick and Signe and the other two were adopted.
I had the privilege of tending all four kitcats for a few days while the Adams were out of town. My mom and I both got out fair share of tiny scratches up and down our arms from bottle feeding them their special kitty protein drink. They kept us very busy! Who knew it could be so involved to raise kitties into cats.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This picture reminds me of the time years ago when we lived in Bountiful and were playing up in Muellers Park. There were stray kittens there, too, (course you were only months old) but we have a great picture of Jason and Ben with the kittens. It also reminds me of the one a few months ago of you holding an armful of kittens. Now I know the rest of the story. Alley cats! Bet Grandpa Fry would love to see this picture...you know how he loves cats:)

jmr said...

Mueller Park is a Kitty Sanctuary!I once found a pretty white kitty up there too, I named it Snowball. But Snowball had to stay there since I had KC at home. If I kept every kitty I came across....well, I'd give new meaning to the term Crazy Lady with a Million Kitties. Ya know they type they have to send Animal Control in with all the kitty carry away boxes, gas masks, and nets and later come out with about 248 cats from the lady's apartment and horrible tales of how the kitties were 'everywhere'... the horror! :)