10.27.2007

the first three days











disclaimer: I can’t possibly share everything I want to. Neither you nor I have that much time in our day to take it all in. But the size of this entry is pretty big!

I was wide awake at 3 am Friday morning, and my parents weren’t far behind me due to my subtle trips around the apartments turning lights off and on (they told me to wake them but I didn’t want to do it straight up).









We took advantage of the early start and headed for Kruger National Game Park a few hours away. In my opinion spending the day in the car was the perfect way to start my vacation. At my liesure I could nap a little here and there, suprisingly I even snuck a couple naps in while we looked for animals. I’d wake up to my mom calling out BABOONS! or ELEPHANT! or VULTURES or... It is so strange to see these animals in the wild. We saw: crocodiles, impalas, warthogs, more impalas, pretty birds, a rhino, more impalas, a few hippos, bunches and bunches of monkeys, an eagle, guinea fowl, elephants, zebras and more impalas.
I'm including a link to here of a video shot at Kruger, you've gotta see it. A fight between lions, buffalos and crocidiles. You won't believe who wins!










After leaving the park we drove through the rainy countryside to Plumbago Guest House, my first experience at a B & B. I now have extremely high expectations of all B & Bs here after. This place was exactly what I dreamed a B & B should be. When we arrived at the gate and rang the bell, dad says ‘Hi, we have reservations…’ ‘Mr. Rix! Please, come in.” We were met at the car by the owners, Ilara and Robbie, their cute dogs Bezel and Refuge Bin (her name in Afrikans sounds much cuter) They welcomed us, gave us umbrellas and then a tour of the place.

Our rooms were in the back garden away from the main house. Ilara said my suite was the single. Uuum, yeah - My bed was way bigger than theirs by far. The power went out for a couple hours (power share) so we lit candles on the patio and watched the fog settle in on the avocado and banana farm Plumbago is situated on. Dinner was served in the main house by candle light.
I won’t even try to describe the food. I’ll let you use your imagination. Four course meal; fancy mushrooms my parents hid by feeding them to me, raspberry sorbet to cleanse the pallet, red snapper, and a desert I don’t have the first idea what it was, but wow, was it good.

I was sad that the massage I’ve been dreaming about since I checked this place out online was not available because it was too late to get someone in to come in so mom was nice enough to give me one, then dad shared half of a pill with me since I’d still had not had a lot of sleep yet. The constant cat naps were bound to get annoying. Next thing I know after crawling into my gigantic bed my parents are knocking on my door telling me its time for breakfast. I don’t know if I have ever slept that good in my life. Our delicious breakfast was served on the porch then we were off to the Elephant Sanctuary where we walked the elephants, Casper and Keezo. Pet and hugged them and learned really great facts about elephants I won’t go on and on about because we’re watching a spy movie and I know I’m missing important details because of my blogging obsession.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all....Yikes. Is that the way they 'twist your arm' over there, Krissy?
Second of all, we have vultures! We call them the 'buzzards of Bennett Road' and they can be a pretty gruesome sight in winter time. We also have lots of 'baboons' on our highways at all hours.
Third of all, what gorgeous scenery. Almost, but not quite, puts to shame our amazing Fall foliage.
Keep up the great blogs. We love it. Waiting for the penguins.

KickButtMommy said...

Jenna, you are on the adventure of a lifetime. I have never been ANYWHERE interesting so thank you for letting me live vicariously through you! What an amazing week you are having.

FRYBABY said...

I've seen those monkeys in the yellow shirts somewhere before! If I could only go somewhere cool so I could find something else to blog about besides football!! Don't you all wish that???

Devry said...

Being that traveling is my most absolute favorite, I'm so jealous and I'm loving all the pictures. I can't wait to see more.

Sioux said...

COMPELLING vid of the buffalo and lions! And even more compelling is the beautiful pix of the flora, fauna, and family.

Cara said...

Jenna, you need your own Animal Planet show. "Crikey! Look at the size of this little beauty in my mailbox!"

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! What a fun Celebration! Wow, we all loved your blog! Cant wait to hear more and see more!
Be safe!
Amy

Anonymous said...

What an adventure. It looks like so much fun. And I can't believe you're taking time out to blog too. :-)

I hope your birthday was awesome; I'm sure it was.

Stay safe, take care, and I'll talk to you soon, -- Bry

Anonymous said...

Jenna....you must be having so much fun over there that you're getting just like Big Bro and not bothering to let the rest of us in on all of it....Can't wait to hear the latest! Love all you guys!!!