8.13.2009

blazing moon


I'm supposed to be backpacking at the bottom of the Grand Canyon right now. Due to responsibility rearing it's dutiful head, I went to work today instead to learn my role from the designer I'm replacing. Having a few days off leading up to the time I would have liked to have time off - I decided to make the most of the bad timing, and go play in my favorite corner of the state.


Part of my loose plan was to traipse off camping {to make up for missing out}, but I was forbidden to do so alone. So my mom, ever the coolest mom, willingly joined the adventure.

Destination: Kolob Reservoir, by way of My Favorite Road. Along the way we pulled over at one point where things just looked interesting. {Hop Valley} Ever have that urge? Just to pull over and see what is out there? We did.


We made it to the lake with just enough light to string my hammock up and enjoy the last bits of the day before mom was off to her tent {aka The Odyssey} and I was tucked into my suspended bed, wrapped in wool blankets and zipped into my bag, with ear plugs handy to block out the rustling in the brush around me. {It may have been chipmunks, but it also could have been hungry mountain lions - I didn't want to hear it coming; if it came.} I didn't have any trouble with the creatures, but the blazing moon woke me up a couple of times with it's relentless shining. The price paid for sleeping under the stars, I suppose - can't turn out the nightlight.


We were up with the sun the next morning, bagels and protein drinks for breakfast as we were warmed by the sun after a chilly morning, and away we went. Again, we pulled off the road at a random point {who needs trail heads?} and the destination was the megalith in the image below. We followed animal trails and picked our way there. It was a fantastic hike.


wild pomegranate tree behind the dumpster at my storage unit. The desert might be mostly unwelcoming, on the verge of hostile; but the best thing is finding beauty in the ugliest parts of all.

{ps - dear southern utah friends - please don't be mad at me because I didn't call, it was a fast and furious trip!}

3 comments:

Vickers said...

From the salty sea air to the cool, dry desert air, what a contrast. You do get around.

Cara said...

Sounds like a fun adventure, sleeping under the moon and everything.

KickButtMommy said...

beautiful.