4.23.2010

our fears are only


Parts of songs just seem to stick to me. "Our fears are only what we tell them to be" from part of a Norah Jones song hangs around and makes me smile. Personal U2 favorite, "I still don't know what I'm looking for" came along tonight and also made me smile for completely different reasons.
I just had a gorgeous day. Rainy and quiet at work, I was able to concentrate on bidding a job that scares me. I like being scared. I went to a design event that I won't really touch on here because for once I'm just not really in the mood to talk design {woah, right?}
Dinner afterward with people who I think are wonderful. It was one of those moments where I could really sit back, look around me and think I'm so lucky to know people like this.
My dear friend Lorri and I were still ready to play after dinner as everyone scattered so we meandered in the general direction of a ping pong table. {yes, I have them scouted out for such occasions.} Along the way we talked architectural details, one of our favorite reoccurring conversations, and then we battled it out with that little white ball that makes such a satisfying 'ping' noise I absolutely can't get enough of it. I love it so much the back part of my head gets tingly if I get too excited about it. That never happens any other time. I think I was meant to be a ping pong champion.
We were a hazard on the road because we were still on the architectural detail thing so we stopped and walked for blocks around the avenues picking favorites and picking things apart of course. Critical eye never sleeps.
It is times like that where I feel like I am right where I'm supposed to be in life. Or right on the cusp of it. Do you know this feeling? Like I'm completely content at the same time as feeling like there is so much that I'm missing. It isn't a frustrating thing, it feels like a chilled version of anticipation. That doesn't make sense does it? But it does to me. It is a familiar feeling. Just like the U2 lyrics, I am still looking but I know what it is and I know it'll come, but I'm not in any hurry so I'm enjoying every moment twice for fear of not appreciating my life properly.
Wow, tangent, glad the cat is truly back. It wouldn't be my blog without rambling entries about nothing and everything at once.

2 comments:

Cara said...

Here's another song for you, Backstreet Boys style - "Sushi-Cat's Back, alright!"

Vickers said...

You are a born philosopher but with a sprinkling of the artist's eye. So when you get around to putting together your great books of design you will easily text them with words even more beautiful and thought-provoking than the designs themselves. Love the photos....studies in blue.