1.29.2007

one more puppy story

The Green Valley Gap was our favorite place to go hiking. There are tons of different trails to explore and I'm pretty sure we've been on all of them at least once. The 3 of us would go out almost every weekend and hike around for hours. Gib was pretty excited to find this puddle. He's my water dog. If there was water, Gibson was splashing in it. Max was the complete opposite. He didn't mind getting his paws wet, but he'd get panicky swimming in deep water. When we'd walk to the river Gibson loved to swim after anything I threw in, Max would wait on the shore for his brother and take whatever it was he'd retrieved away from him. Much howling and bickering would follow. Brothers.
The day I took them to Best Friends we went for one last hike and the boys impressed me as always! We were hiking around the bottom of a gully and as we made it towards the top I thought we'd gone as far as the dogs could go. The boulders were getting bigger and more like sheer rock wall. Gibson climbed straight up the rock wall {well over my head, maybe 7 feet?} with out a moments hesitation. I climbed up behind him then pretended to ignore Max's pleas for me to give him a boost. He took it on eventually and we kept on going like the pack of goats we are. I love those dogs! Will I ever stop missing them?!

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I have to say I am with Max on that one.

Anonymous said...

The heart is a tender vessel and there is no limit as to what or who claims residence there. Just treasure the pain because it is part of the memory of a special love. The pain lessens but the memory really never does. How you manage the pain depends on the maturity and understanding you have. I love you.

jmr said...

I love you to Vicky.