2.12.2007

Twin Set


Our last big project for 2006 was a suprise for our thirteen year old clients. Their mom decided getting their rooms and bathroom decorated would be the perfect birthday present for her twin daughters, Shayla and Lexi.
Shayla's room was a breeze, her new hobby is liking boys and spending lots of time on the phone, or infront of the mirror her mom told us with much teasing. We put a lot of attention on her desk aka jewelry depot and makeup center.
Lexi's room was almost identical to her twins only instead of a purple/turquoise color scheme, hers was pink and lime green and her favorite little pixie, TinkerBell, was the main event in the decor theme. She has loved Tink since she was tiny and hasn't yet outgrown her and probably never will. The last family vaca to Disneyland had her in happy tears when Tink made her appearance in the parade.
Lexi found paintings on Disney.com of Tink much like the ones above, but with a price tag of almost $600 each it was giving her mom pause, tho not completely out of the question. But when Jana, my boss, was called into the whole production she dropped in her favorite line, 'My girl can make u something similar.' And so I did. On about a 48 hour time limit I spent close to 24 hours on these two 'easy' projects. And I guess they would have been pretty easy had I not chosen the nastiest type of canvas (I loved the square shape tho!) instead of something easier to paint on in a regular rectangular shape. Lesson learned.
If I would have been charging my normal rates for mural work on these I could have easily met the price tag price but tis the season, I still have yet to be paid and I'm not sure I'll like the price Jana asked for on them... but such is the life of the no hassle artist. And it totally was a labor of love in the end. Lexi is adorable. When I went back to finish up a few details on the rooms she told me she'd cried when she saw them and that they are her favorite thing about the whole big birthday extravaganza. So cute.

2 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Those are amazing. I will definitely have to call you in when I kick Christian into his own room and put the girls together! You rock Jenna! I can't even finger paint.

Anonymous said...

And there she is, my award winning, artist niece! I'm telling you....someday you won't even need to sign your work because everyone will just naturally know who the artist is. You know, something like, "Oh, that's a Picasso!!" Or, "Hey, there's a Rix!!" Glad I have my diptych.