3.04.2007

SANCTUARY!

No, I'm not having a hunch back moment. I spent Saturday at the sanctuary in Kanab again with a bunch of dogs. I really can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon. When I checked in the guy said I could pick where I worked. I knew where I wanted to go but I didn't want to ask in case he needed help somewhere else. But he made my day when he told me to go to The Garden. (That is where Gibson lives.) Gib wasn't in his run so I was a mix of really excited and a little sad that he might have found a home.
I swept out the indoor part of the dog runs, cleaned off the dogie beds and made friends with about 14 dogs. I think it is so fun to see the different personalities (or should I say dogalities?) of all of my furry little friends. I walked about 12 dogs after I helped clean up. Clemence would be the first dog I'd take home with me. He was a mini Gib with his in your face personality and a strong desire to be scratched and loved. The guy who stole my heart though was Eddie. A golden boy with sad eyes and extremely shy. Brian, the caregiver was surprised I even got Eddie to come to me. On our walk Eddie didn't want to get too close, he'd give me a weary look if I moved towards him. I gave him lots of time to linger and sniff, I feel silly to admit, I talked to him a lot. Once while he spent some time sniffing I sat down in the sand to wait. He kept his distance, but kept an eye on me. He edged closer until I could scratch him. He seemed to warm to this and before I knew it he had his head resting on my shoulder totally loving the attention. He didn't like it if I looked at him, so I just scratched and talked. At the end of the day all the dogs were laying around relaxing, Tux was stretched out humming to himself, he's a cute dog featured on the website a lot, looks like he's wearing... a tux, u are so right!
Are you wondering where Gib was? I asked Brian if he knew Gib, and he said, "The tall guy with skinny legs?" Yup that's him, with a howl like no other? "OH YEAH! That's him, it's higher than all the other dogs and so different!" He told me Gib had left that morning on a mobile adoption to Vegas. So I won't know the outcome until next time but you'll be the first to know. Next trip up I'll go ask to go to The Clubhouse, maybe I'll get to see that other crazy mutt I love.
If I won a million dollars I would either A - move to Kanab, build an awesome house in the canyon and volunteer at BestFriends all the time and take home enough dogs to have a my own sanctuary at home. Or B - Start my own type of best friends somewhere and find people to help rehabilitate aggressive dogs because that's what the caregivers say is the hardest part there, they haven't found a way to help their aggressive dogs much so they never find homes.

No comments: