12.02.2007

my sister since second grade

December is here and the holiday season has started out in a really great way for me. Jackie and Jeff blessed Lucy today and as I sat listening to the sweet promises given to her by her dad I thought about how her mom has been such a blessing in my life. Jackie will always have a special corner in my heart.

She and I go back to the first day of second grade. My mom had already left and I was sitting on a bench outside feeling dejected and pathetic when Jackie's mom Dixie (Mme Sloan - my french teacher) brought Jackie over to sit next to me and told me Jackie would be new to my class. It wasn't an instant thing, the two of us, it came a little later when we were desk partners and found out we were born a day apart, at the same hospital. We dreamt up all sorts of crazy things like that we had been born only a minute apart 11:59 pm for me, 12:00 am for her, and even possibly that we were long lost twins (it's a fairy tale easier to believe when one party is adopted, the possibilites are endless!) We also believed we were crib partners long before we ever shared desks. We were inseparable from there on out and I am so proud of the fact that I that after the years I still have such an outstanding woman as a friend.

My wish to Lucy today is that she finds someone early on in life who will be as dear a friend as Jackie has been to me.
(We're not in this picture, but that's our math teacher Mrs. Bruerton. She made me cry many times. I hated math even then.)

Once, a silly boyfriend I had years ago accused me of not having any friends... and the funny thing is, I believed him! Was I delusional? I am so so blessed with the friends that I have.

Sorry, no pics of baby lulu. I walked home from church with Jackie and left my camera in my car, but believe me, she is beautiful.

Have you noticed how many babies I've talked about lately? You're not losing count, there were SIX born between September and October, all girls but one.

3 comments:

Cara said...

I like your cool retro chick Christmas picture.

KickButtMommy said...

Lifelong friends are a rare gift indeed, but oh so fabulous!

GrandmaNutt said...

I hope that Lulu grows up to be as fabulous a pianist as her mom.
Is that a picture of you in your upper left hand corner....so glitzy and gorgeous it must be you.