12.09.2007

peace on earth

Yesterday was another snowy saturday and I woke up really excited about the snow since I didn't have to drive to work in it. The novelty of it hasn't worn off yet (and hopefully won't. I don't need any more excuses to be homesick for my desert.)
I spent most of the afternoon being a total slacker, curled up under my down comforter reading my sad, sad book and watching the snow come down. I kept an eye on the clock and knew I should head up the mountain to the temple but I was nervous that once I got up there I wouldn't be able to get back down. I have yet to master driving in icy conditions and it was so cold I knew the roads would freeze. And they did, Bountiful Blvd was an ice skating rink! I drove 2 mph holding my breath and trying not to panic every time the tires lost traction. Oh my heck, I would love a subway system right about now so I could put away my car until the tulips came out.


Tradition is at the heart of the holiday season. We read the same stories, sing the same songs, eat the same comfort food. Adding layers every year.

Memory flood:

  • The smells. The cold smell of unpacking decorations from the attic. Candles, breads, pumpkin pie, cookies, egg nog, snow, winter.
  • The year I got two fuzzy hamsters. I loved them to death. Seriously.
  • The year I got my purple bike. Ben tried to teach me to ride it in the snow. I ended up in the gutter. Face first in a puddle, or am I making this part up?
  • The year Ben was on his mission and the phone rang mid present opening. I have never seen my mom move so fast! "IT'S BEN!!!" We have it on tape. Priceless.
  • Christmas Eve clam chowder and the year mom forgot the clams. (We'll never forget!)
  • Grandma's house. Hidden presents in the tree. Crawling under the tree to find gifts, watching everyone open gifts and laugh and talk.
  • Christmas concerts at school, on temple square, last year with mom and dad at the tabernacle in St. George every friday night. I adore Christmas music. Who doesn't?
  • The year in Korea without a tree. We made one out of wrapping paper and had a houseful of friends.
  • Driving around looking at lights and Temple Square Lights and ice skating downtown.

3 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Jenna, you have such a way with words, and memories. Was I there? No, but it feels like it after reading about it.

Anonymous said...

Your mom's clamless chowder is legendary, and I wasn't even there. What are you all going to do this year for Christmas Eve w/o your folks?
Christmas Eve of '96 we all wrote down our most favorite Christmas memory and then shared them and the reason each was a favorite. It was so tender. Think we will do it again for this year. Thanks for the idea.
Love your photography....is it yours or RC1?

jmr said...

neither, just photos I found on the web. :) Frybaby says their tradition for Christmas Eve is IHOP so clamless pancakes? I love your tradition of sharing memories. Maybe I'll adopt this as my own.