12.06.2007

the memory keeper's daughter

I've slowly been making my way through The Memory Keeper's Daughter (Kim Edwards). It is one of those sad books that isn't really a fun read but the story is a compelling one and I have to know if it ends how I think it will. With total destruction, that is. Really, it is the only way it can end when it started it out with lies as big as it did. What other outcome is there?



David, (the one who lied) is a bone doctor and an obsessive photographer. He said something that embodies exactly what I've thought a million times.

"...these rare moments where the world seemed unified, coherent, everything contained in a single fleeting image. A spareness that held beauty and hope and motion-- a kind of silvery poetry, just as the body was poetry in blood and flesh and bone."


Tiny moments like these where life seems to slow down just enough for me to take inventory of all I've been blessed with are the kind that mean the most to me. If I pay close attention, the feeling is gone too quick to appreciate so I pretend not to notice and soak in it as much as possible before it fades and the colors aren't quite as vivid, the feelings not quite as strong.

...In all our trials born to be our friend, He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger..."
--Oh Holy Night

4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I actually love that book. I think it was fascinating and so well written, although sad. It is like watching a movie or a show when you want to scream at the people to be honest and fix everything. I found it fascinating and very true how living with his guilt changed him into a completely different person, which in turn, changed the lives of everyone he loved.

Anonymous said...

Haven't read that book but I finally have "The Golden Compass" and want to read it this Christmas so that I can see the new movie. How's your Christmas shaping up, besides wreath and tree decorating? Frybaby loves your contributions.

KickButtMommy said...

Vickers, yes you have. I sent it to you and you read it while you were helping out in Leesburg last winter. Unless you fibbed and did not read it. Hmmm.

jmr said...

fibber?? uh oh! I am loving this book!!! It is just so sad. And so honest in its lies if that makes any sense at all. I was caught off guard and had to read a paragraph over and over until it sunk in and then I cried. How is it that books become so real for me? I love it!!