1.12.2008

i left my flare at home sir

Quick pup update then a story that will make you glad you aren't me.

If you remember, at the beginning of the summer Katy had to give Max back to Best Friends because he was causing a lot of problems with her other dog and her HOA. I felt for her, she was completely crushed losing her boy. I knew how she felt and still feel the loss at the strangest times, it can still bring tears to my eyes when I think about how much I miss my dogs. But I knew Max would be fine back in Kanab with his canine pals. Max is in heaven so long as another dog is around to play with him.
Katy emailed me today to let me know she'd gone to a BF Super Adoption in Vegas and asked our friends how Max was doing.

They were happy to let her know he'd been adopted again! Third time is a charm I hope!

She then told me she was at the dog park a few days after this and who should she see?!? MAX! Doing his thing, chasing dogs, smiling his lopsided grin and his third mom is completely in love with him too. His problems don't seem to be problems in his new home. A perfect fit.

I've sat here bawling my eyeballs out thinking about my boys living large in Vegas. Oh my heck. They are just dogs. But they were so much more to me. I'm just so happy they are being taken care of by good people.

OK, my store: (sorry the pup update got a bit longer than planned)

I knew my first week of school couldn't go off with out a hitch.

Thursday night as I killed time in Barnes & Noble before my 8 o'clock IT course I started to feel suspiciously hot and dizzy. Uh-oh. The flu has been kicking butt and taking names in our household, was I next on the list? It looked to be that way.

I didn't want to believe it but even as I sat outside in 32 degree weather in a t-shirt completely overheating I knew things did not look favorable.

I tried to talk myself out of it as I made my way back to campus but as I walked I got more and more unsteady, clammy and the full body flu-ish ache nightmare set in with unnatural speed. I thought the least I could do was let my intimidating professor know I tried to be there and get him to sign my financial aid paper.

The only problem was that as I waited next to his desk two guys jumped ahead of me and he was bombarded with stupid questions he wouldn't have been able to answer even if they had been polite about it. I could see him losing patience as I tried not to lose my cookies. Then another guy jumps in front of me as I'm trying to talk to the guy.

Seriously, am I invisible? I know I'm there, I can my reflection in the window. I look like a maniac. My hair is everywhere, I'm sweating and shaking and an awful shade of grey, I decide the campus is crawling with jerks. I'll take this back at a later date I'm sure. I was feeling very ungracious. Don't mess with me when I'm sick.

So next thing I know I'm getting yelled at with this other guy about asking to get our papers signed: "Can we do this later when the whole class isn't waiting on you?!"

Something about getting yelled at by teachers doesn't sit well with me. I've never been able to deal with very well. And worse yet, I'm weepy when I'm sick and so I stutter out a pathetic attempt at an audible English sentence about being sick and could he please just sign the paper so I can get out of dodge.

He was unsympathetic and scratched his name into my paper as he told me I'd be missing a lot of important information.

I'm already scared of the class. I took the assessment test tuesday and passed by the skin of my teeth. The professor, a guy about my age and not unattractive (not that I care, but somehow I think it has something to do with the attitude) has it out for me already. I can almost read his mind. Instant dislike. Never a good thing. I may be over reacting. Again, all I have to go on is this experience and I am probably not a good judge of character with a raging fever.

I sit back down at my computer out of shear terror. (No, not really. I was feeling better do to the adrenaline rush of humiliation) and he starts in on a quick get to know you thing. Could we please stand up, state our name, and tell a little about something that gives us flare. What is this, Office Space?

He picks me to start first.

Fantastic.

I stand up. I'm shaking and holding onto the desk and ask if I can just do it sitting down. "I'd rather you not" This guy HATES me.

"Hi...I'm Jenna...I'm an interio..." He interrupts me, "Last name please." OK. Geez. If I were up to it I would have had this guy in my cross hairs I'm sure. "Thanks for reminding me, yes, last name... obviously I don't feel well...I can't think of anything to do with my flare right now...I'll tell you all about it later. Wait for it. It is going to be awesome."

Class laughs. Teacher sneers.

I make it about half an hour more before I made my get away including a horrible pit stop to the ladies then stumbled home to lay in bed shivering for the next 48 hours. Thanks to Jared & Camel for the Jamba juice when I didn't think I'd ever eat again, you saved me from myself.

The best part: I get to go back to that class. I'd drop it and hope for another teacher but I'm not that big of a pansy. I have something to prove now. I'm not the girl anymore. It's not 3rd grade art when the teacher yelled at me for outlining everything in black and made me cry. This is college and I'll be the one making people cry! C'mon dude. I hope my financial aid paper was crawling with germs. Ok. Now that was really horrible. I didn't actually mean it. But then, if I didn't, I would have erased it huh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try this on a full 4-year, 4 or 5 classes a day, all with prima donna teachers. You know the kind..."My class is the only class worth taking" kind.

You'll be great and never give up. Remember, 'No guts, No glory'. Can't wait for your next installment. Love you.

KickButtMommy said...

Good attitude Jenna! You can do it and never let em see you sweat!

KickButtMommy said...

Oh, and so glad you are feeling better. That flu is the worst!

Cara said...

Way to stick out the class even with the flu. I probably would have just fainted and called it a day. I clearly don't have the flare you have.