3.02.2008

retreat

Well, I got a call from So Africa today to remind me about my blog {'post something' or they won't know what's going on with me and it makes them 'nervous'} so here I am reporting in.

Friday came quickly this week {five weeks left of school} and top on my list of things to do was NOT to go to the relief society retreat like a true fun loving girl would do, but instead, get a good start on my projects due this week. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of relief society. I really do enjoy it, but I have never been good at big groups of girls without the male species around to act as a buffer of sorts. Lets be honest, girls can be a mean bunch. The girls in my ward have taught me a thing or two. I have so enjoyed getting to know them so as I drove home from work with my weekend stretched out before me, it wasnt hard to talk myself into going. I was not disappointed. Good food, lots of laughing and a really good message about recognizing the power within. It might sound a wee cheesy, but it's our theme for the year. Is it the world wide theme as well? Knowing the way the RS works, I wouldn't be surprised if you too, got a little magnet to put on your fridge with the scripture below. As I sat listening to our speaker I felt like this was the perfect theme for me personally to work on this year.

"For God hath not given us the spirit of fear, but of power, and of love, and of sound mind."
Our presidency introduced the knew theme in a pretty fun way. Super Heroes Anonymous. A big group therapy session with these girls talking about the common problems found when super heroes forget the power within. These girls are hilarious. Especially Elastagirl, she kills me. She doubled as our game show host as we played a wicked round of "Speed Friendshipping" {akin to speed dating} followed by "The Newly Friend Game" where new friends were chosen at random from the speed dating game to play the newly wed game to see how much they could remember from the five questions we were given to ask each other.

It was a good night. I am not fully converted to the retreat, I bailed out and came home to sleep in my own bed. Nothing says female bonding like waking up with a bunch of women in the morning after being with them all night too. Pushing it just a bit for me. Maybe next year.

Alright, on to my usual sunday post.....

Things I loved about this week:

Actually, on second thought. I'll save it for another day. Jared brought cheesecake. Blog...cheesecake...blog....cheesecake.... BYE GUYS!

3 comments:

FRYBABY said...

Man, that was nothing like the 'old ladies' retreat I went to in Colorado. It looks like you had quite an interesting time with all of the SuperHero-ins!! It is wonderful having leaders who really put their time into planning!! What fun!

Cara said...

We don't get no stinkin retreat here. But we are having a St. Patty themed activity this month, with plenty of green jell-o I'm sure.

KickButtMommy said...

looks like fun, but I am with you. I like sleeping in my own bed!