6.10.2008

summer term

Back to school bright and early this morning. I'm glad to be back at it again but I have tell you I'm a little let down by my Perspective Drawing class. I've so been looking forward to it but the professor isn't excited so it made for an interesting first impression. She read the syllabus to us then let us go an hour and a half early. Big difference from all the other ID professors so far. You can practically feel their passion for design vibrating off of them. BUT, don't let my snap judgement fool you into thinking I won't get a lot out of this class. I'm still syked about it.

Growing up I usually looked forward to going back to school after the summer break. I liked getting a new uniform and maybe a new book bag or lunchbox. I especially loved the new shoes part. And new school supplies! "If I knew your name and address I would send you a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils."

I went to a party up the road from Carden Memorial this weekend and did a drive by shooting. {I don't remember why I couldn't bother to stop and take better pictures}
Doesn't seem like much has changed, which is just how I like my old school to stay. It looks smaller and not quite as pretty as my memories but those memories are of all the great art on the walls, the statues, the blue velvet curtain in the auditorium, the library and the old trees I used to watch out the window while I daydreamed about the books we were reading. The creaky floors and big windows and funky smells. I especially loved the smells of the art room! Nothing says back to school like spray adhesive and fresh leather.

My favorite thing lately is loitering around Grandma's house. I can't get enough of it. I was on my way to FHE last night and stopped there only as a pit stop but got sucked in by the quiet warmth and the smell of dinner. Grandma said "Stay" and I only fought her for a minute. I bailed on my friends so I could eat leftovers 'in private' as grandma said and watch some TV. She was more than willing to play rummycube but after the brutal beating night before last night I couldn't face her. Man! She was ruthless! Rematch soon.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Your posts are alway poetic. I have often tried to figure out how you ended up at Carden instead of your normal elementary. Some day you will have to tell us the story....Good luck with the art class, and I don't blame you for loving to loiter at Grandmas. What better place is there?

A said...

I loooove the quote, "...freshly sharpened pencils..". That is my favorite movie! Love your blog by the way, I'm such a stalker!

Kent and Shan said...

I love that you love the meg ryan chick flicks...no one can quite take her place can they? You have the cutest niece ever by the way!

Cara said...

I'm thinking that last picture is of the roses along Grandma's driveway? I challenge you to create a coffee table book for us family members: a photo essay of Grandma and Grandpa Awesome's home. Remember to include the apricot trees.

Anonymous said...

Great idea, Cara! Jenna would put together such a great book full of beautiful pictures and memories that we can all appreciate! I love to look at the pictures and read your descriptions, Jenna. You are very talented! And I love that I recognize the flowers, bird and yellow cup!
frybaby

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm a dud! I didn't recognize anything. Hope that your art teacher clicks on cuz I'm looking forward to seeing more frameable(sp?) signed by JMR!!!