10.21.2008

the ax

I quit my job today. {and/or I got fired.} Depends on who you ask.

Should I give you a minute to let that sink in?

If you recall just a few short months ago I had all kinds of enthusiasm about the opportunity I saw in working for such a talented designer. I still do have that enthusiasm for the many good parts of the experience.

But day in, day out having The Man pick at my flaws was starting to take a toll. I don't have the time, or the patience, to care that much if I have bobby pins in my hair! If it wasn't the way I styled my hair it was what I chose to wear. If I got lucky and got away with what I thought was fashionable he found a flaw in how I worded a purchase order or my lack of the ability to read his mind.

We lacked the chemistry he repeatedly said he wanted and I was losing my mind trying to live within the confines of who he thought I should be. Eggshells come to mind when I think of how I felt so much of the time.

First thing today S said she needed to talk to me, and said "it's not going to be easy." I sat down and with a GIGANTIC {inward} sigh of relief and said, "You're going to fire me!" I laughed and told her how great I thought this was because all I could think about was quitting.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Oh Jenna, I only hope good things come to you! Blessings in disguise, always.

whitey said...

MY VOTE IS THAT YOU QUIT!! BETTER THINGS TO COME FOR SURE.

Vee said...

Well I am glad you are out of that kind of environment, it can really take a toll on a person. I am also sending good wishes your way!

Cara said...

So the Devil Wears Prada in Salt Lake City?

Anonymous said...

You started with such hope with what we all thought was going to be your ticket to somewhere and you ended up in a deadend alley. Life is the strangest and yet most intriguing place to wander. You did super and I am so proud of you and so excited for you. Remember, there are no coincidences in the lives of the righteous. Everything serves a purpose. Aubrey or, as I called him, Awwwbrey is obviously the "L"oser and you will always be the winner.

FRYBABY said...

You know what they say about doors closing.....when one door closes another one opens. (I think that is how is it phrased) Here's to another adventure and more learning experiences. Every new job adds to your brilliance! (That saying comes from me!...and I have had a lot of DIFFERENT jobs..so does that make me brilliant?)

Sarah said...

Oh JEnna! You have the BEST attitude about life! I'm sorry you got fired but glad that you won't have to put up with a boss who critiques your bobbypins! I love you!!! Come see me or I'll come see you...either way! I miss you!