1.02.2009

fantastic way to start 2009

I didn't mention in the last post that I had something huge to look forward to when I got home. That, and a sleeping pill made the trip home fly by.
I discovered Skipe is the best invention known to man whilst away and could call that handsome Bearded M for 2 cents a minute. During one transatlantic chat he asked if I wanted to go to a roar'n 20's party New Years Eve with him to see Royal Crown Revue. Heck yes I did. I love big band music {thanks to Grandpa Awesome} and any excuse to dress up.He offered to find me a costume since I'd have about three hours to spare from time of arrival to the time the party began. I trust the man, he has a wide array of costumes, but searching the world wide web over for a cheap, fun 20's costume was a really fun afternoon spent with my mom while listening to Handle's Messiah. I totally scored when I wandered away from the costume sites and stumbled upon a cheap vintage revival online store.
It also gave me the perfect occasion to wear one of my beautiful Christmas gifts he gave me.

Planning for the night also gave the family something to do one night after I downloaded some of Royal Crown Revue's music. I am a very uncoordinated girl. I don't mind it really, only when it comes to dancing. I wish someone would have forced me to be involved to some degree in formal training. My parents have told me this was out of the question. I was so shy. I want to take lessons now. Better late than never right?

So my dad gave me a crash course in swing one night and we had a blast. He was as patient as he ever is and my mom threw in all kinds of helpful advice. Watching the two of them dance is one of the coolest things too.

Unhelpful things came in the form of Ben videotaping the whole event and when he asked why I cared if I could dance or not I let him know Bearded M used to compete on a dance team, he had a good laugh and told me practice harder!

We were asked to be in the costume contest. We came in 4th.

I had such a great time. Yes, the man can dance. And yes, I tried my best to keep up. I was a little self conscious in the beginning but in the end I wasn't ready to stop when the band played the final song. Royal Crown Revue put on an awesome show.

Troy and Darren were there too, didn't get a picture of Darren but here is Troy looking like a cool cat.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!!


7 comments:

Cara said...

sounds like cool cat fun!

Anonymous said...

Your mom and dad are terrific dancers but when they were younger they were noted for their smoothness and grace. So fabulous that you had your dad's time and attention to crash-course you. No better teacher on the face of the earth.

KickButtMommy said...

Did I ever tell you that the first time Miles and I said the big "I love you" was on a New Years Eve date after a prolonged Christmas absence? I'm just sayin' absence so makes the heart grow fonder! Looks like SUCH a fun date!

FRYBABY said...

Don't be too self conscious about dancing.....I definitely can't sing and look who I ended up with!!
It looks like you had loads of fun!

Vee said...

This sounds like so much fun. I love that this guy likes to do things like this with you. How cool is that?! You looked awesome by the way!

Sarah said...

You are darling! What did he give you...the necklace?? I miss yoU!

Amy said...

oh how cute! i need to meet this charmer:) your adorable!