1.06.2009

haul it away, please. let's play rummycube

I was going to post a few more pictures from Korea tonight when I saw this one and was reminded of something I've been mulling over the last couple days.

If you know me at all you know I love to clean. I'm sure you have a couple of stories to back me up on this. I do it when I'm stressed or just for the sheer fun of it.

So then you'll understand my surprise when I realized as I read a story out of a book Frybaby gave me for my bday that the story related to my life. I have what she called a mental junk yard. I guess I'm a sucker for metaphors and can now visualize the nasty corner overrun with dirty slimy stuff called worry. {the storyteller wasn't talking about worry exactly, just mental junk in general.}

A two year worry fest has unceremoniously come to an end today. And not because I've mastered deep cleaning my brain that quickly.

My house was auctioned off today and this move by the bank voids out the second attempt at a short sale to avoid foreclosure.

I can't say this was the end I was hoping for to this saga but the most discernible emotion I feel is relief. I thought the story was going to end differently a few times. I even have a post dated from last January still in draft form where I happily announced that my parents friends were going to buy it from me as a short sale. I decided to hold off on posting the good news until it was final. Seven months later and it fizzled out when the banks counter offer was less than stellar and the realtor told me to hold out for something better to come along. After that low point where I felt like my financial crisis was ruining my life at every turn I decided to get in line for the bankruptcy lawyers. Before I could start the process, a second investor got involved and we've been working on getting their offer accepted up until the last minute yesterday before the auction would void everything and the bank would take over.

I'll stop there with the details. They aren't really the point of the story and I won't bore you with them here.

I'm pretty sure you know I can find a positive in any situation. Given, it might take me awhile. And if you ask me to find something positive while I'm any combination of tired, hungry, or preoccupied I'll struggle with the concept.

But I've found the positive in this situation in all kinds of unexpected places. I'm pretty sure the theme of the last few trials for me has been 'Solving Problems'. But I thrive on this stuff. It's like Rummycube. If you work at it long enough, you can find a way to lay it all out there. Rearrange, get creative, sweat it out. Maybe sometimes you have to take it all back. Admit you got it wrong, pick up your tiles and wait your turn. But eventually it's your turn again and things have changed slightly so that you can you can see it from a new perspective. If only I had that tile last time I would have been able to figure it out. Oh! The life lessons learned while playing that great game, I can relate anything to Rummycube. Go ahead, try me.

I did the rearranging, I worked out all the options and the solution was in the trying.

I didn't get bailed out of my mess, instead I learned the valuable lesson that my net worth has nothing to do with my worth in the sight of God and that I don't value the things that require a credit score, or the status of having a good one.

and as for that worry piled up in the corner? Haul it away, please. Let's play Rummycube.

'Less is more.' - Mies

6 comments:

Cara said...

So what does it mean if I'm terrible at playing Rummycube? Does it spell total disaster for me? :)

Glad to hear that the house thing is getting resolved, even if not in the way you wanted. Here's to a brighter 2009!

KickButtMommy said...

I am so relieved to hear you have that off of your plate. I know we have talked about it a lot and you were hoping for another end, but just having that chapter closed is a huge blessing.

Onto the next chapter!

Amy said...

wow, what a blessing! you have talent at wording things, it is exactly like that! by the way that is me and Nicks game, i kick his butt at it twice a week:) glad everything is good!!

Kent and Shan said...

Jenz I love ya, I'd glad its done and you don't have to worry anymore.
I really love your perspective on life, you are always teaching me!

Anonymous said...

Dear Cara,
I'm awesome at Rummikub.... Yet I gurantee that when it's compared to my personal "real life" organization I'm not living up to par :) Sushicat can only compare the two genres cause she is awesome at both! Most people don't have that luxury... It's one or the other! Haha
Love,
The retired "Anit-Blog Blog"

Sarah said...

jennafriend
I'm glad you don't have to worry about it too! I love how positive you always are! Can't wait to see you in February!