2.25.2009

after the presentation...

We presented our ADA projects today {or yesterday I guess now} and there is always this giddy relief that settles in after we have worked on these massive projects. It is such a high to see the finished project, and to be able to present it in a way that feels comfortable and effortless. {huge accomplishment as I've mentioned before!} The time spent thinking through the space has helped me present in a more deliberate way. Everything has a purpose so I can talk about those things that got me excited about the space so I don't have time to remember to be scared of being in front of a group of my very judgemental peers.
Our client: An elderly couple retiring to St. George. The concept: We designed each space around Minerva Teichert paintings {check her out if you don't know her already}. Southwestern inspired colors, comfort, and easily accessible to someone with limited mobility.
Design wise, maybe not a stretch in the way you may think, but it was a hard thing to pull off for both of us since we both love to design with blues and southwest is the farthest from my personal style. We specified La-z-boy furniture, and focused on being ADA compliant in a stylish way. I'm in love with the kitchen and the master bdrm. Neither space is pictured here bc my photos didn't turn out well, but my next favorite part of the space was the outdoor living with the giant fireplace. As I was saying, giddy sets in after these presentations. Dodo is our fav place to unwind after class and the waiters probably pull straws to get out of taking our table. We laugh too hard, and ask too many questions about the menu and linger way after dessert has been licked off the plate.You can't see the tears, but this is the face that goes with laughing until I cry. Jaye was killing me with her lazy eye.

relaxing won't last too long, we start our final project now. Nothing too big or extensive... just designing a 500 square foot home including every detail top to bottom. Floor plan, spec binder and any way to present the concept as we see fit. Oh yeah baby! Small spaces are my absolute favorite to work with!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Teichert is one of my favorite artists so it would be interesting to see your take on the whole project. From your front elevation I already want the house!!

KickButtMommy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE that you got to unwind like that. Makes me want to go out with a bunch of my girls and laugh until I cry.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha. Your giddy hangout sounds fun. And as always, I love your style and your paintings and amazed at your artistic abilities!

Amy said...

i looked at your first picture and wondered where the heck i had seen that house. then it dawned on me, the parade! you didnt come down did you and see that house? it was very modern, lovely, but i hated the floorplan! i love the picture you did of it! what a fun class i wish i was in it!