5.10.2009

Happy Mother's Day from St. John's, Antigua!


Amazingly enough I didn't see my mom for an entire day, and then some. I last saw her Thursday night before I went to work, then we somehow missed each other all day Friday. I went out on a COMREL early Saturday morning and finally hunted her down after dinner when I get back. Once I found her we headed for the weather decks to relax and enjoy the sunset.

Being the cool lady that she is, she has volunteered to work nights in the ICU. True she has had years of practice doing the night owl thing. But at home it was common knowledge that 8 - 10 pm was her time to sleep and slamming doors or talking loud wasn't permitted. Then she had the house to herself when we'd go off to work and school.
It is a little different here on the USNS Comfort because the 1MC {announcements} goes off for everything from 'Serial Call Aways' starting at 5 am, scheduled announcements like "Sweepers, Sweepers...." and then the constant random paging of personnel and calls for trash to be taken to the incinerator or the trash barge...
How will she get any sleep?? If anyone can pull this off and still have a smile on their face, it is my mom. She has super human patience, as has been tested raising a child like me. {Ben was the good kid.}
This photo is from last Sunday. We had an UNREP {underway replenish} which means fresh fruit and veggies again. It was fun to watch the helo fly back and forth with pallets, all the while we were hooked up {see the lines?} getting 500,000 gallons of fuel.

I'm so glad my mom is here with me to celebrate Mother's Day together. Since I talked about her coming for the last month, her reputation preceded her. It is a common thing to hear, 'Oh hey Jenna's Mom!' And we get questions and jokes all the time. The Vet Tech on board happens to have the same last name and calls her Mom too. I'm happy to share cuz she is The Coolest.


Happy Mother's Day to all you bloggers back home too. Grandma, I love you! Vicky, Michele - I'm so lucky to have aunts like you! {and to all my great aunts who check in - I love you guys too!} Coree, Cara, Heather, Devry, Lindee {your pets count as kids right?} - Bloggn cousins rock! {still wishing Linnea and Danielle would jump on the bloggn wagon!}

Jax, Shan, Jen, Amy, Peach - I've been impressed with each of you as you've started your families and are raising your sweet, cute kids.
Don't think I forgot you Kwona. You are a rockstar. You are the amazing mother to my very most favorite kids in the whole wide world. You are wonderful.
I'm taking notes from each of you, I love you all!

8 comments:

Cara said...

Love you, too! And Momma Night Owl SuperNurse, too.

Vickers said...

You're so right...Ben was and is the good kid. But you are the pretty kid and one of the fav cuzs. Absolutely love the picture of you and your mom. Give her a hug from me and hope to see her in June at our mom's house.

FRYBABY said...

Happy Future Mother's Day to you too! .....I don't know about the rest of your followers but I am having a hard time figuring out what all of the acronyms mean:) I can make up my own words to them but I am sure I will probably NOT get any of them right! Happy Mother's Day to Krissy too!! Love you both!

whitey said...

So jealous of you two right now.

Sioux said...

I love the photos of the two of you - it looks like you're having such a great trip together. Happy Mom's Day to Krissy, and to all those who have commented. Jenna, you make being a Mom special and unique!

Lindee said...

Haha I think they count! I hear puppies can be harder than real babies...but that's just because they don't usually wear diapers lol. Happy Mother's Day to everyone as well! I love that picture of you and your mom in front of the sunset. Gorgeous!

KickButtMommy said...

Thanks Jenna Marie. I love this post. You are a doll and I can't wait to see you as a mother one day! You will totally KICKBUTT!

Nano said...

Okay, so, I admit: I'm a blog reader. And that blog is yours.

Well done Jenalope. You've got me excited about the great things you're doing and will do.