5.03.2009

Temple trip in Dominican Republic

We got super lucky and had an over night liberty in Dominican Republic. This wasn't supposed to happen, but I'll be forever grateful it did. I didn't realize how much I needed to get off the ship until I was in the taxi bus on the way to the Temple grounds.

The buses really set the mood for the place by blasting awesome Latin music and swerving in and out of the hectic traffic.
Food. One day my metabolism is going to slow down and I'm going to be in trouble. I ate all that food, plus some of Angie's.

This could have been one of the most embarrassing moments for me, had I been more aware of what was going on.

These are all things I noticed and registered a little too late: The band that was sitting in the shade when we first walked into the courtyard were now lined up ready to go, people were gathering around the stone archway leading from the street into the courtyard, news type cameras were all pointed towards the opening, everyone was looking in the same direction...

My focus to make me oblivious: I couldn't see my friends anymore and caught a glimpse of one of them crossing the street on the other side of the stone entrance. We have told repeatedly not to be alone. I wasn't going to be the first to mysteriously disappear. {I never felt in danger, just trying to obey the rules}
I made my way through the crowd and into the cool shade of the wall and started to notice the above mentioned clues that something was going down.
I knew I was playing the part of the ignorant tourist when I noticed I was one of four people in the dark passage way. The two guards we had passed coming in, and a very tall man wearing what I can only assume to be the uniform of a very important military man. Clues: Shiny devices on his lapels, a gang of ribbons and badges on his chest, a very straight posture and super shiny shoes..
He met my eye and I smiled and held my head high. I knew then that I'd ruined his 'grand entrance' by being the backside of some white girl in the photo op so I might as well be friendly right?


The street market where we hung around for an hour or so shopping, soaking in the chill vibe of the Caribbean, and of course I was snapping shots of the architecture and anything colorful.
This place is a designer's dream. The vibrant layered colors on old crumbling stucco, the murals, the pairing of old with new. I have a new source of inspiration to add to my other favorite places: desert and asian. What a combo right?
I am so proud to call the Comfort home for 3 more months. Getting off and doing my own thing for a bit reminded me how grateful I am to have this chance to be here.
We {Rachel, Sloane, Angie and myself - I have a photo, but of course it won't load} laid around on the spongy grass and chatted when we first arrived at the Temple grounds. Great view and it even rained just enough to break up the sweltering humidity with full on humidity} We were able to stay at the MTC {$3 a night} and we all had really neat experiences while there meeting the people and enjoying the peace inside the temple.

7 comments:

rickandlaurie said...

Jenna...you are so amazing. I cant believe how many adventures you go on all by yourself! I just love reading about what you are doing..it looks like so much fun. Take care out there and come to St. George someday when you get a chance. ;o)

Jackie Sanders said...

Way to go blonde! Man, snarf up all the beauties! I'm sure you'll have some fab pictures to share!
Enjoy that warm weather.

KickButtMommy said...

I love it. Take up all the attention and moments you can get, I say!

FRYBABY said...

You look like someone from Gulliver's Travels in that last pic. A giant among friends!!

Cara said...

I like the picture of the books. I also like the picture of you with all that food! You go girl!

Vee said...

I love your pictures. The last one of you and the temple intrigues me. Keep enjoying your adventure!

Vickers said...

I can't believe you have no pictures of your beautiful mom joining the crew!!!! Everything else looks like normal...Jenna normal, I mean. Enjoy.