6.03.2009

Accountability

I have three things for you today:

One, I don't like to blog without pictures. It just isn't the same for me. I am a visual person so I guess I feel like I can't tell you a proper story with out them.

But, I don't come empty handed! I'm going to give you an alternative. For any of you who want to a get a glimpse of what life is like on board the
USNS Comfort, today is the day to do it!

We are transiting through the Panama Canal and as we go through the locks there are live
web cams that will show you what we are up to.

This is the website:

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/multimedia/index.html

Here are our scheduled times at the three locks, subject to change a bit of course.

Enter Gatun Locks: 0615

Clear Gatun Locks: 0805

Enter Pedro Miguel Locks: 1245

Clear Pedro Miguel Locks: 1335

Enter Miraflores Locks: 1405

Clear Miraflores Locks: 1515

Note: All times are local Panama time. Add one hour for EDT.


Pictures to follow. I made the trip from Colon to Panama City today to pick up our June team and saw parts of the canal. I'm excited. {which could explain the 0130 blogging}


2. HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAG! You're an old man now, 27? Wow.


3. And I should point out that this is a complete shift in tones.


We lost a shipmate last night. HMC Pamela Branum died in her sleep and it came a shock because she was one of those people that make things brighter. Quick wit, sharp, and kind. I really liked her and was looking forward to working with her more since she is over personnel movements and I just became a whole lot more involved with that aspect of the mission.


She made an impact on me early on, so much so that I quoted her in my journal and have quoted her a few times since. A few of us were 'stragglers' as we came in late to the 0730 muster and it was becoming a trend. She put a stop to it with a good talk about accountability. She talked about it in a way that struck me as more than just being on time. I liked her approach, not only on this, but as a leader. I thought of her as an example.


Another memory that stuck out to me as I've thought about her today was around the time my mom was coming to stay. I was hurrying in one direction and Chief was hurrying the other way but she stopped and called out something to the effect that she was happy for me that my mom would be on board with me soon. This might seem simple, and really I guess it was, but these commanders are so busy and she is in charge of all the personnel coming and going so for her to remember something about me made me feel like part of the team and it came on one of those days when a kind word was needed. From talking to a few of the other people here, she seemed to have had a talent for being there at the right time with a solution or a smile.

I am happy to have had the opportunity to brush shoulders with such a high caliber woman.

3 comments:

Vickers said...

How strange to die in your sleep when you are young and strong. Sorry for you Jenna, to lose a good friend and good leader.

dawnanne said...

thank you for those links! we enjoyed watching that very much!!love your blog and all the wonderful things the "angels of USNS Comfort" do. thanks for sharing. (friends thru blogging from denver colorado)

Jim Roberts said...

Thank You for your kind words about Pam, she is a long time friend of my wifes and it is good to see she has not changed in the 15 or so years since we have got to see her.