6.05.2009

Slimmy Wog no more!




I think I'm about as salty as I'm ever going to be! We just crossed the equator, and with this, an old Navy initiation was brought down upon us wee lowly wogs.

The festivities began with signing a release form last night{what ever happened to good old fashion hazing?} a lot of smack talk, and being sent to our racks at 2000 to go to bed. Of course we couldn't stay in our berthing, so we had a few Wog uprisings and ran around trying for a combination of being problematic and going unnoticed by the scarier Shell backs roaming the decks looking for misbehaving wogs. The highpoint of our nighttime adventures was getting yelled at by the Commodore {all in good fun of course, but it felt real and he really did look mean for about a second!}

It was like Christmas, I couldn't sleep! I was too wound up about what was in store for us! People used to get seriously hurt doing this rite of passage. I told one of the Shell backs last night while we were playing ping pong {and smoked him I'll add} that I would be disappointed if I walked away without a scar, and possibly a tattoo.

0500 came quick once I finally fell asleep and we were woken up by people screaming at us, banging on our lockers and generally making a lot of noise.

I slept in my clothes ready to go, contacts in, and sass running through my veins. We were taken upstairs to CAS REC where we had to 'duck walk' {walk and squat at the same time} and sing songs like Row Row Row Your Boat and Anchors Aweigh. We did some PT to wake up, got sprayed down so the flour we rolled in next would stick, and bear crawled up the ramps to the Mess Decks where we enjoyed green eggs, pink pancakes and purple rice for breakfast. Silverware was out of the question and eating with our hands was prohibited. If caught, it was more singing, or any other form of madness, like ice cubes down our backs.

Back to CAS REC for more PT stuff, lots of rolling around and getting yelled at by the Shell backs. We were blindfolded at this point and lead outside where we crawled through garbage on our hands and knees, got hosed down while we did more push ups, jumping jacks, and my favorite: blowing the water out of the holes in the flight deck used to strap the helicopters down.

I decided against slipping gracefully into the huge box full of florescent green water and did a canon ball instead. This reigned down on me more push ups and more yelling. I loved it! Bring it on! On to dance for the 'baby' {Jacey is a giant more than a man} and had my face smeared in his Crisco covered belly.

From here I dunked my head in a toilet full of who knows what, did more PT, then finally just when I'd about had enough I was hosed down by the fire hoses once more so I could be presented to King Neptune where I was declared a Shell back!

9 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Jenna you are a total rock star!

Vickers said...

YAY! Jenna is a Shellback. Now you can change your blog title from Sushicat to Shellback. AWESOME!! What do you do when you come back across the equator...become an Equator Dancer?

jenna marie said...

An Equator Dancer? Now that would look great on a resume...

Sarah said...

Sounds like so much fun! I love the pics Jennafriend..what a tough girl you are :)

Sioux said...

I think you should be assigned a higher rank than Shellback! This whole thing sounds disgusting! I'm glad to hear that you had fun with it tho.

Cara said...

I thought you got AWAY from college...

I know nothing about the Navy, so I have no idea what a shellback means, but it sounds better than wog.

FRYBABY said...

Remind me to never volunteer to do what you are doing....for sure!!!

Bethany said...

I wish I had found your blog two months ago. My husband is on the Comfort too (AFSOUTH Band) and is not the greatest at letting me know what's going on. Hopefully he was as successful today as you!

Bethany said...

Me again. Thank you thank you thank you for the pictures and things you have been writing. Keep it up. If you get a chance to meet SSgt Newman in the band tell him his wife found you in the blog world!