6.17.2009

goodbye Tumaco


We arrived at the clinic yesterday morning for the closing ceremonies and I was a little surprised at how many people were still in line to be seen. I don't know why I was surprised, it has been this way in every country. Tumaco is right behind Haiti in terms of the level of need that we have seen on this mission. It is a very poor city with a lot of unrest and terrible things going on there.
I can see how it would be easy to feel like there is too much need in the world to even begin to try, but it is cool to be a part of group who is trying anyway. The people here are happy. That is what surprises me and it shouldn't. We talk about the fact that they don't know anything else so they don't know what they are missing. I don't know if that is the reason, but I guess it might have something to do with it.
It is also hard to not be cynical or wonder if things will ever change. I was impressed with the President of Colombia. He came and toured the ship and while he was here he spoke to a group of us about his hopes for his country. He didn't strike me as a politician type, just a man with the future of his country in mind. He was very grateful for the USNS Comfort, and the good people on board.

I had the pleasure of meeting some great people here. I've been intimidated by the language barrier, but it doesn't seem to be a problem when smiles, high fives and hugs make us instant friends.


Since we can't walk around outside of the protected sites and the bus drivers don't mess around taking a leisurely tourist paced drive through town, I have resorted to holding my camera outside the window and doing my version of photography in motion. I like seeing what surprises I have when I get back to the ship.

The closing ceremonies were really great. Another Latino rock star and his group performed and the crowd went nuts. Commodore Lineberry also spoke about the success we had here. More than 60,000 health care services provided! The Seabee's built 3 schools and a kitchen, the biggest engineering project yet for CP09. 70 pallets were donated {many of those from LDS Charities} and I heard from a vet, and friend, SGT Rix {no relation} that he saw some of the donated items being given to the people who were driven from their homes recently in a raid.


The ride back to the ship was a nice relief from the humid heat. I stood in my favorite place next to the captain and got soaked by the giant swells we were diving through. The seas get really rough later in the day and while some people fight over the few spots on the boat you can sit in to stay dry, it was nice to close my eyes and get soaked on purpose.
When I got back to the ship I had an email asking me if I wanted to go on a helo ride. This isn't a normal thing. Getting emails with questions like that, or having chances to get a ride without a purpose. The pilots are busy transferring patients, pallets and important visitors.
I'd mentioned to my friend Landon {a pilot} a couple of days ago that I was really homesick and so I guess this is what he did to cheer me up. Very cool right? I'm lucky to have such fantastic friends on board. We challenge each other every other night on the ramps. I have never run so much in my life. So they are both good for my soul AND good for keeping me in shape after all the big meals around here.

3 comments:

Cara said...

I'm surprised to hear you are homesick with all the wild adventures you are having there. I'm glad you have friends to cheer you up. Don't worry, before you know it you'll be saying, "Remember 10 years ago when I served a mission aboard a navy ship in the Carribean?"

Vickers said...

Lets see, a Caribbean cruise, helo flights, carousing among the locals at most stops, and, oh by the way, healing hearts, minds, and bodies along the way. What a summer you are having. Proud of you and all that you have accomplished.

Amy said...

wow, we do take things for granted. thanks for putting that post on there, we think the economy is hard here and complain, then see places like that with happy people like that! makes me very grateful:)