6.11.2009

the Pacific side of Colombia





If you remember, we spent 3 days in Cartagena at the end of last month on the Caribbean side of Colombia. Now we are in the middle of our stay in Tumaco on the Pacific side. From my one day on shore so far I liked what I saw. Jungle, lots of buildings on stilts with tsunami evacuation signs pointing inland, and gorgeous flowering trees.

I really wish I could know where these people were going on their scooter with their furniture in tow. Were they moving? Shopping? There are so many things I want to know about these places we've been. I read about them, and hear the briefs given by embassy officials, and I see the people at the clinics. But as far as really getting a good idea of what the culture is like? There isn't a good way of doing this with out getting myself in a lot of trouble. I wish I was a vet or a Seabee {construction battalion} because they really get out there and get immersed. It really has been an interesting way to travel through these countries with the Navy and on such a tight leash. I'm not complaining about that leash, it is a good thing. I get it that we are in dangerous places and force protection is an important part of our day to day life. But what I wouldn't give though to wander down some of the roads I've seen just to see what is out there.

It is probably a really good thing I am mainly on the ship. I wouldn't want to be held accountable for wandering off to see what the jungle looks like just 10' feet in... or maybe 50'... or maybe just up over that...

6 comments:

Vickers said...

I am only happy with you being there as long as you obey Navy regs and stay safe. It may be an old chestnut but it is so true... 'Better safe than sorry'. I am looking forward to seeing your beautiful face again before I die so come home in one piece, and with a bunch of cool stories.

Cara said...

You are so Mowgli. Stay out of the Jungle! Did't you watch Romancing the Stone?

KickButtMommy said...

I know it must be killing your bohemian spirit, but I am with Vicky! We want you back!

jenna marie said...

Romancing the Stone is probably one of the reasons I WANT to wander off. Thick with adventure...

dawnanne said...

You don't know me but I found your blog link through the Continuing Promise blog. (my husband was going to go on the the trip originally) I sure would like to know you, though! i really love your blog and your pictures are amazing!!! It is always an uplift when I have the time to check out your blog. Wonderful commentary--thank you, i really get a sense of what it must be like to be on the trip. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.

Amy said...

wow, yes please stay out of the jungle! so when are you coming back! it seems like you have been going forever! what a blast though! i will pray for no tsunamis. did i spell that right? anyways, also if you dont have time to check others blogs probably, we are having a GIRL!!