6.14.2009

90 years of Awesome



From the time I was 'knee high to a grasshopper' Grandma would take me out on the trails around the cabin in the beautiful mountains east of Heber City and show me things. It could be any simple thing at all really; but she would make it very interesting. Rocks became dinosaur eggs, leaves were prettier when she picked them up to show me the details, I saw more creatures in the pond when she pointed them out for me. I would beg her to walk down to the creek with me. I could go by myself, but I liked it better if she would take me. Squirrels, bugs, the color of the sunsets and the moss on the rocks were all details I got to see through her eyes because she was excited to see them too. The trails we used to discover these beautiful things became ancient paths in her imagination used by Indian women and I would creep along behind her wondering if these Indian women would be happy to share their trail with us? I didn't worry too much with Grandma along to get us out of trouble.

She showed me a flower called 'Indian Paintbrush', still one of my favorite plants to spot. The one pictured above isn't the real deal I don't think, it is bushier, but when I spotted this a couple summers ago I thought of her and took a picture anyway because it sparked the memory of these walks with grandma.

I was intrigued by her paint supplies and the way she could recreate the scenes around us. I liked to poke around in her things, smelling the paints and wishing I could paint like her. She would be forever patient with me when I would paint with her. She would pull out the supplies and give me a little lesson, then let me experiment with the colors and water.



I consider myself a lucky grand kid for growing up close enough to Grandma and Grandpa so I could get dropped off there when my parents went out at night, or just to stop by when we were out running errands. It is something I still love to do. If I'm out n about I know I can drop in for a minute. {except right now, and believe me, I miss it!}



I love sitting at the table with her and hearing the family news she collects with her Sunday evening calls. She has a tap on everything, the source of as many details as can be found on all our blogs combined it seems. I enjoy her fun sense of humor. She has an insatiable love for life that draws people to her.

Happy 90th Birthday Grandma!! I love you very much and wish I could be there for the big celebration!

4 comments:

Vickers said...

Thank you Jenna for those memories of Mom. Funny thing, when she calls me each Sunday evening she always tells me all about you. She, of course, loves you very much. Happy Birthday to Grandma Super Awesome.

Cara said...

I miss those cabin days, and Grandma's jar of jolly ranchers, filling the hummingbird feeder with red juice, and shelling peanuts for the squirrels. At least I still have the cabin game table - and the little doggy brick doorstop! Those are the best!

Sioux said...

So many memories fill our hearts when we remember the fun and joyful times with El and family. Memories are the glue that binds the family together. Hope she has a lovely day!

KickButtMommy said...

Beautiful tribute to a beautiful Grandma. We are all blessed to know her.