8.05.2009

filling the position as


the job hunt has become a bit of a joke. Do I want to be a beekeeper? Gallery docent? Shop girl? Do I want to sell obnoxious utensils door to door? I haven't quite reached that level of desperation yet, but I'm not far from it.

Something about picking jobs to apply for makes me feel like I'm trying on optional renditions of myself. Could I happily {without dread} show up for work at a bakery? Yep {think Stranger than Fiction} a trendy boutique? Enthusiastic thumbs up {oh but the cost of looking the part} Revisit the hippie ski tech era again? How about the artsy slightly moody girl at the gallery? I start the day off on craigslist checking out the updated listings, eating granola parfait, concentrating momentarily as I write a cover letter making sure I sound sincere when I say 'I look forward to talking with you more about the blank blank position..' over and over until I've sent out 5+ resumes a day. Every day. Since I got home 2 weeks ago. All those alternate story lines for my near future die before I even get the chance to try it on for size at an interview. I never hear back from any of them. {Except for one. And my hopes are hung so high on it I don't want to talk about it just yet.}

It feels like an unnatural way to go about securing employment when every listing instructs me politely to not apply in person and most definitely do not call about the position. So I can send an email, but following through or showing any real interest has been strictly forbidden. Blasted technology.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

the right job will find you. keep working hard at it.

Vickers said...

Do you want a job or do you want a career? Limbo is not a fun place to be is it. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Cara said...

Have you considered night watchman at the museum? I hear that's when history comes to life...

Sarah said...

Good luck Jenna! I remember those feelings and I'm so grateful that my permanent job of being mommy is here :) Is your phone # still the same?

Lindee said...

I can relate completely.