3.19.2007

Lady Mountain

I'm walking like I've been beaten up and left for dead. I did this most amazing hike this weekend and I knew I would be sore seeing how it was a pretty brutal beginning to a season full of outdoor adventure.

The hike is in Zion National, called Lady Mountain and hasn't been on the park maps since the 60's due to danger and many rescues and deaths {the guys told us it this way for added hype I think}

It's an incredible hike, in less than 4 miles it climbs 2670' in elevation. It was the first trail created in Zion in 1924, the website says women used to climb this trail in long dresses and heels! I had my Keens on and still have a couple rub marks. The website goes on to say, "This hike is not for everyone, in fact few do and should ever attempt it. The park no longer maintains the route so the few that attempt the hike must be experienced climbers. The remnants of the trail now involve 4th and 5th class exposed climbs and pitches and the hiking section of the trail is steep with slippery slopes and long drop offs. The slope is narrow, steep, sandy and covered in loose rocks. Toward the top of the mountain are the never ending steps. The top of the trail looks like a tan colored hoodoo."

My friend Cheryl invited me so the six of us set out mid morning, Cheryl, Jared, Amanda, Tom, a pup named Yetty, and me. When we reached the first climb Cheryl backed out. I can understand her hesitance, she's had nightmares of being a scab in a white dress for their wedding next week so she and Yetty turned back and went on a few smaller hikes while we continued on.

It got pretty difficult near the top, there were a couple of different times where I crawled along a second longer than necessary until I could find the strength to lift myself up just one more step and one more boulder before regaining momentum and carrying on.

The views were as breathtaking as you would expect from the top of a national park. I was seeing the other side of vistas I've only ever scene from the beaten path. We were looking down behind The Three Patriarchs and Angels Landing. I thought I was on top of Zion when I've hiked Angels Landing in the past but it is more than 1000 feet below where I stood at it's peak height of 1700 feet.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Wow, Jenz, that is quite a feat! I am super impressed as I can barely hike up my stairs each night to go to bed. You are the woman. I like your quail too. It kind of reminds me of the squirrel you made friend's with at Grandpa's cabin. What was his name?

Cara said...

I'm with Heather. Where's my couch and ice cream?

jmr said...

oh cousinz, give me a couch and ice cream, i can barely walk! i've dropped bunches of stuff on the floor and there it will stay until sometime next month when i can reach them. oh that squirrel! he did have a name..something to do with wheat thins cuz he seemed to like them a lot.

Anonymous said...

Now I can better understand why you are a size 2! Get that girl a bag of chocolates and a tree hammock. Can't climb things like that here in Virginia. Proud of you, Lofey!

FRYBABY said...

Can't wait to start climbing!! I think I can climb at least 10 feet now! Plans for St. George are still up in the air because of rugby, Sound of Music, and General Priesthood Mtg.....Maybe I should come without the boys!.......I could have sworn I left a really long comment somewhere...did you erase a blog?...or am I just losing it? Coree is thinking about giving up Cooper...know anyone interested in a bulldog?

Anonymous said...

No Jenna, you aren't going to get us on that hike when we return. Hope you are moving better now. I think the squirrel's name was Mr. Honey Wheat. Love Mom

jmr said...

u can always count on my mom to remember the details! yeah, I'm moving now. went for a bike ride yesterday to celebrate and locked myself out of the house :) Michele, come see me! we won't climb mountains. maybe just smallish ones!