4.29.2007

Gooseberry & Guacamole

After a quick morning of painting a baby nursery I took the rest of the day off to head up to Zion to go camping with my new friend Tony and a bunch of his friends.
When we got to the campsite Tony, his two buddies Brad and
Glen and I drove up to a trail called Guacamole on the west side of
Springdale to go mountain biking.

I had no idea what real mountain biking is all about. What I have been doing around home is like a walk in the park compared to what we were up to this weekend.

Luckily the guys were really patient with me and taught me a lot about how to use my gears and shifting my weight back to go down the steep rocks. I love it! I'm hooked!

Friday's ride was more fun for me because it was less technical than the trail we did Saturday. We did Gooseberry Mesa Saturday and when I told Laurie where we rode she was pretty amazed. She said in the biking magazine she subscribes to, Gooseberry is one of the top ten most difficult trails in the nation. Wow. I think I carried my bike more than I rode it! But I had a blast trying to ride and now I can say I've been there. I already want to go back.
This is my knee. It looks pretty doesn't it? I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I hit my knee on my bike ALL time!
Saturday night we went to see Peter Breinholt perform at Tuacahn.
I gave a talk today in church. I think it went alright. {You know how you really can't remember anything once it is over?} But I wasn't near as nervous as I've been in the past, mostly I was excited for the challenge and trying to get across the information I had studied. I think having to talk so much the last couple of years has helped me find a process that works for me to get over the nerves of getting up there. Doing what I will call the 'wet run' before seems to help. If I read my talk out a couple of times the day of I can get out some loose tears so I can be in more control when it counts. Mom and Dad called me at just the right time this morning so I practiced it on them. They are a good audience with helpful hints. I got to a part where I said 'Taking the sacrament should not be a passive experience.' Dad pipes up, That's important! Highlight it! So I did. He passed a long a couple great quotes that I also used. It's so good to have a seminary wizard on hand! And Mom, I gave you credit for my tears, blaming heredity.

5 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

You are an impressive woman but that knee looks pretty owee! I am glad to hear that your talk went well. I am the biggest cryer ever, which I also blame on my mom. I hope I can prepare as well as you. I am teaching RS Sunday which makes me MUY nervous! This is only my second time ever.

As for your M&D I have decided you need to do their blog for them from emails, phonecalls, and pics they send you. They are obviously just too busy. My cuz does her parents and it turned out great!

Miss you Jenna! Can't wait for the 4th of July!

jmr said...

You and I think alike! I asked the parents if they;d be ok with me doing theirs then they could post when and if they wanted also. Good luck with RS!!! Now the idea of teaching a class REALLY freaks me out!!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry I haven't been checking the blogs this weekend...been busy putting together my institute lesson. Sounds like you have been very busy and most productive. Congrats on the extremely positive experience with your sacrament talk. I know you were wonderful and would have loved to have been there. Not so much for the bike riding and the bike hiking, but I am once again impressed with your performance. AND, I am so grateful that picture is of your knee and not mine. Yours will heal quickly, mine would have been terminal!

jmr said...

lol vickers, you should see me now. i don't like going from sitting position to standing much so I add sound effects to distract myself. :)

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love how you pretend that this is the ONLY time that you have seen our dear friend Peter Breinholt for FREE! Ha Ha... Don't you remember climbing the enormous mountain (large scale hill) and jumping the fence just to stalk Bronson? Good times! Which by the way, Brons and Abby have a blog... tattonfamilyblogspot.com. Check it out! Their baby Sam is so dang cute! Miss your face! See you this weekend I hear? xoxo