4.22.2007

Rice Pudding

I was totally channeling my mom this morning when I got up to make some rice for the dinner I cooked for a bunch of my friends today. I made way too much rice as I usually do but instead of putting it all in a tupperware where it would normally die a cold lonely death at the back of the fridge, I pulled out my moms handy recipes and made my very first solo attempt at her rice pudding. Yummy stuff I think, and my rendition turned out not at all too bad. I hope. I am always a little leery of cooking for my friends. What if they aren't my friends anymore after I cook for them? I almost killed them once when I decided to use the spaghetti fixings I'd received as a white elephant gift this last Christmas, only to find out the people who gave them to me got them for their wedding. In 2002. Ooops. We all took a bite and put our forks down, no one wanted to say anything so as not to hurt my feelings. But I just busted up laughing... how was I supposed to know? I didn't think Callee was grasping the concept of the funny gift and gave me a nice gift instead. Joke was on me!
But they are all still alive tonight. Well, at least I hope they are.
Now what I really need to do is figure out how my mom makes her cookies. I've tried her recipe bunches of times and my cookies never come close! I wouldn't worry about it except my stock of frozen cookies that she left for me is dwindling and I'm starting to panic!

4 comments:

Cara said...

She left you a stock of cookies???? Awesome!

KickButtMommy said...

I have learned in my ten years of marriage that nothing tastes as good as when mommy makes it. It is a proven fact.

Anonymous said...

I am a personal witness for you Jenna, that you are NOT exagerating your mom's cooking skills. My kids always loved her chocolate chip cookies, her cinnamon rolls, and her dinner rolls. If I said Aunt Krissie made cookies they all screamed to go to her house. And serving the cookies frozen was the best way. YUM!

jmr said...

FROZEN COOKIES!!! What am I going to do when I run out? It's sad because I have to keep eating them or they will get freezer burn but I want to hold onto them until a new batch arrives...oh! the turmoil!