5.16.2007

Intimidation on the green

I've been going out after dark to ride or run since it most definitely is summer now and I haven't gotten used to living on the surface of the sun yet again.
I like riding on the golf course after dark because it adds an element of suspense to my exercise. I have to dodge the sprinklers, stay on the trail, (I'm not rude, I would never dream of making dents in the grass) and try to be as quiet as possible because I don't know how anyone else feels about bikes on the paths there. Better to ask forgiveness in this situation I believe so I rather sneak along and enjoy myself until I'm told otherwise.
So I'm flying along at crazy girl speeds when I come around a corner and see a huge swan on the green. I stop to watch him when I realize he is quickly moving towards me in the dark. Not running exactly, but he is moving at a surprising speed and something about his stance has glued me my spot. His neck is arched down, wings are up at angry angels and I realize he is charging me.
I know swans are mean as mean can be so I am ready to flee should I have to but I had a false sense of security because there is a thin rope about a foot high acting as a cage to the wild beast that has taken offense to me being on his green disturbing his swim with the pretty geese.
We had a stare down and I guess I proved to be a worthy opponent because he spent a couple of minutes working on getting his wings put back in place then we regarded each other a few moments more before I was off on my merry way and he back to the water for a swim.

Vicky asked about the stitches. Goooodness. My back was ACHING when I woke up this morning and I found out why once I moved. My stitches had gotten attached to my shirt and every time I moved it was pulling on them in every direction it seemed. I tried not to panic but failed miserably. I felt trapped and I'm sure I was making things worse with my unclear thoughts of ways to get out of this mess. I don't know if it was because I was panicking or what, but I thought I was going to pass out or lose my cookies so I sat on the bathroom floor trying to calm down and devise a plan. Nothing worked and I was cramped for time so I ended up cutting my way free. This all seems funny now, and I knew it was then too, but when I saw my eyes in the mirror as I tried to cut my way out of my mess I looked completely freaked out of my mind! Am I proving to be as big of a pansy as I said I was? I think so!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did your stitches get stuck in your clothing? Are they infected? Are they oozing? Now you are making me panic. Have you had someone look at them? Are you running around with small patches of chopped clothing adhered to your back? WHAT'S GOING ON??!!

KickButtMommy said...

That sounds so oweee!

jmr said...

I was drinking water when I read your comment Vicky and now I'm soaked from laughing. Nah, they are good and healthy, they were just being bothersome and it did take some work but I don't have clothes dangling from my wound anymore. can you just hear gma asking about that tomorrow when she takes them out for me, "What is all this fabric doing here on your stitches dear?"

Anonymous said...

You're going back up north just to have your stitches taken out? You're so thoughtful. Gma loves being there for you (her little bug lady). Sorry about the water, but reeeaallly, a little self-discipline would have prevented that. Gottcha!

FRYBABY said...

Call me after 'Grey's' so I know what to expect about this weekend! Come help me sell t-shirts at the rugby game!! There will be a bunch of good-looking rugby players there I bet....

jmr said...

Rugby Players..Can't wait! :)