5.02.2007

'The Wizard' is on Bravo!!

My mom will especially appreciate this story, and maybe some friends in Bountiful cuz it is a blast from the past for sure!! MDK, you'll remember my 'london' haircut right? I think that's what you guys called it?
I was hanging out with Laurie after a windy bike ride tonight eating dinner and watching TV when she flips it to her favorite channel Bravo to see if 'Work Out' is on. Shear Genius is on instead, another favorite of hers so we are watching this reality show about hair 'designers' when a familiar face appears. At first I thought it couldn't be him, he has a salon to run. But as I watch he just looks too much like himself not to be Tyson. The guy that chopped my hair off in high school and ended my modeling career! OK, a very melodramatic way of putting it, but it's my blog.
Laurie knew the story already so when I told her the little guy we were watching was the same guy she wouldn't believe me until his name was on the screen with SLC as his hometown.

So the story: One day I had long blond hair and on a fluke while I was working at the ski shop one night I decided to dye it dark brown myself when I got home. Of course it turned green and I freaked out crying like any girl would do. My mom took me to a salon to get it fixed the next day. It was now an ugly over processed brown but livable. A few days go by and Sunday I got a call from a guy named Tyson who I'd met at a Go See at the agency the week before and he said he'd gotten permission with my agent to use me in a hair show the following day. I know I'm not supposed to work directly with clients so this seems fishy but I go along with it because I'm young and gullible. I explained what I've done to my hair so he wanted to see me that night to do a pre color. I took my buddy Seth with me to his condo and he stayed there playing video games with some guy while Tyson and I went to his salon. It's already way late and by the time he is finished fixing my color and chopping a good 6" off of my hair it's probably 3 in the morning.

The next day for a Bed Head hair show he chopped my hair off even more so that it's now a long pixie-ish type thing that I know I can't possibly style on my own but what the heck right, it'll just grow back, no big deal.

Wrong. I went to my next Go See a couple of days later with a big time client from Tokyo and what do you know, she had picked my comp card in advance and as I talked to her she compared me with the me in my photos and realized I look nothing like them anymore. She called in an agent and everyone started asking a hundred questions about who authorized the change. Every one was pretty upset and you can guess that I didn't get to go to Japan.

Thank you Tyson. He did teach me a valuable lesson about tipping and I did do a few more hair shows for him. His buddy even took some fun (but not so great) head shots for me once.
So maybe I can't honestly say he killed my career before I ever had the chance to have one?
I was way too shy and never really into the whole modeling thing then anyway so it wasn't really his fault but 'what if' he hadn't lied to me that night and I had gone to that Go See with long blond hair like they like it in Asia. Who knows what could have happened. Ben would probably have that boat I promised him all those years ago!
I'm going to have to follow that show now to see if he gets eliminated. It's on right now actually!

8 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

What a heartbreaking story and what a louse! I always thought you quite modeling because of the "pretty face, big nose" comment. I think you are absolutely gorgeous and love your hair at any and all lengths! That guy is LAME.

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing about the green hair. The rest of the story is the better part. Keep collecting those crazy stories and one day you will have a best-seller.

jmr said...

nope kickbutt, Stacey the agent said that the first day he met me. That comment kind of egged me on a little...and gave me a complex about my nose! :)

Cara said...

Hair designers are lame in general. Which is why I am always nervous to get my hair done, bc I never like it after. I think it's the Tokyo people's fault for not appreciating a range of beauty.

Anonymous said...

Hi you don't know me but i had to respond. My mom forwarded this page to me. We are related, somehow. I am Kacy, Clydene's daughter. I went to beauty school in sugar house, and know of Tyson. He would grace us with his presence at the school, walking around, watching the girls. If he liked you, he would ask or allow you to be his assistant. Most girls thought he was Godlike, but after a few weeks they all found out he was very full of himself. I too have been watching the show. It's pretty funny to listen to him "work magic." Anyway, had o respond. We've been gossiping about him at the salon.

FRYBABY said...

As you know all too well....we have had a lot of experimentation in our household with hair. I don't trust anyone because of my experiences at the salons!! I just let family members cut my hair because I always love them anyway. (That's probably why I still have long hair and not much of a style!....So if I plan to ever grow up I should find a new "do"! How 'bout it Kacy!)

jmr said...

Kacy! I loved your comment and it fits with what I remember about him. He has already but creating waves huh? I wonder if he will be the outcast of the show? I hope you'll keep me posted on his progress because I'll probably forget to check in on the show! Nice to have family out there watching 'the wizard' with me!
Michele, I LOVE your hair. never cut it off, it is too pretty!

Anonymous said...

Weird, I was just thinking about that crazy guy the other day. Something about having clothes that hair didn't stick to. Oh and the artwork in his salon that was broken wonderboard with paint splattered or whatever.

Or maybe I just wish I had hair that was long enough to cut?