7.20.2007

Max the Drifter

It's the dog days of summer. I don't know what that term actually means but being with Yeti reminded me I hadn't heard from Max's mom for awhile so I wrote for an update and she told me he has made friends with the cat, learned his manners and impresses her with all his progress. Only one problem. He barks ceaselessly from when she leaves until she gets home. No matter what. So because her HOA is giving her hefty fines for each complaint by the neighbors and she doesn't want to lose her house or Max to animal control, Best Friends is taking our boy back to Kanab tomorrow.

We've passed tearful emails back and forth since she broke the news and have only been able to keep each other from breaking out into a new fit by sharing Max stories.
Here's one she just sent me:

"And he gives the cat a nightly bath and freaks out when she goes outside. Every once in a while she'll wander out to chew on some grass. She wont go more than 10 feet from me and my yard is fenced so I just leave her be. She'll tell me when she's ready to come in. Max goes nuts. Checks under the bed, checks all her hiding places then yells at me until I find her and bring her in."

This from the dog who, if we so much as crossed a cat on our walks he'd act as though he thought it was the evilest creature alive with the soul purpose of snatching his brain.

She updated me on Gibson telling me his family has gotten him a slide for his pool. (this is an actual pool in the ground Gib has taken on as his own personal play ground) She said he actually slides down the slide, splashes into the pool, swims a lap, rinse and repeat. That's my water boy.
I feel for her as she gives Max up. I don't know if being moved around so much even effects him? He seemed in his element at the sanctuary and sounds like he couldn't be happier in Vegas with Elvis. I wonder where he'll end up next?

PS Changed the picture since the other one is up somewhere in my archives (can't have duplicates) Plus, this is one of my favorites. I sent it to Katy to make her smile too. Anywhere Gib went, Max went they would chase each other for hours, seriously, HOURS! This is what I found one day when it was so quiet I thought they'd escaped again.

4 comments:

Cara said...

The dog days of summer refer to the months when the star Sirius (the dog star) is overhead. Leave it to the Romans.

KickButtMommy said...

Sorry to hear about Max. The story about Gib is hilarious though.

Anonymous said...

Too bad that Gib's parents don't adopt Max, too. That would solve everything.

jmr said...

only then Gib turns into monster big brother and bosses max around no end. if only they could get along THEN problem solved.