8.29.2007

Black Rock

This is where I am living for the next few weeks. The 8th Hole of Sunbrook's Black Rock Nine. (Jealous big brother? If wanted, I could chip off my lawn and practice my short game..) I am back in St. George tending a bunch of kitties, collecting mail, and best of all: working!!

I am working for my friends Nick and Signe while they are off touring around Europe. I think they are in Venice today soon to be boarding a cruise ship for Turkey? Lucky!
I am happy to be working again. Why is it that I feel so much better having tons of work to do in a day vs. being able to do whatever I please all day long? I've always felt this way, but for the last few weeks as I didn't work (and forcing myself to enjoy it) I had plenty of time to evaluate what it is about work that is so addicting for me.

I read (Eat Pray Love) that Americans are obsessed with work, putting in more hours than any other Westerners, feeling the most satisfied when they are in their place of work, more so than anywhere else in fact. Also, because we are surrounded by so much stimulation and constant desire to be entertained we have the hardest time being content doing nothing at all and truly enjoying the moment we are living in.
This is so true for me. I can't sit still long before the lists start piling up in my mind of what I should be doing. Is that why I am constantly telling myself to "Live in the now" when I get lost in my excitement to accomplish? I have to remind myself that I will miss out on life if I'm always anxious for the next thing coming, whatever it may be. Why shouldn't I be able to feel content with simply being. Am I missing the point?

I'm not knocking work though, of course, I know it has value and I need it. Am I misquoting when I say we reap what we sow?
Only asking questions.

7 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

that is gorgeous! I could use a little R&R but like you I get antsy and have to do five things at once. Miles DOES NOT have that problem.

Anonymous said...

Those pictures are soooo mis-leading. You guys live in a DESERT and you know it. Look at the thermometer (while I drool over your pictures). Glad you are happy, Chica.

Anonymous said...

You are only five minutes from me!! you better give me a call girlie!! Lunch or dinner or something! Your the busy one, not me, plus I think Im off the crutches so I wont embarass you in public!! jk
how long you here for????
Amy

Anonymous said...

This life is meant for us to work but when life allows us to relax for a time then we must enjoy ourselves!! So when is it that we get to relax??? We miss you! I watered your plants today and we have some forwarded mail so let me know what you want me to do about that......and try to enjoy yourself in the lap of luxury!!!

Sarah said...

Hey!
I want to see you while you are down here...how long will you be in St. George? I can't do lunch cuz of school but I can do dinner. I want you to meet Craig!
love you

Anonymous said...

Hey, what do you do for Nick and Signe?? They took me and Bronsons wedding pictures...

jmr said...

I LOVE them Abby! They are two people I have much respect for and enjoy their friendship endlessly. No wonder I liked your pictures so much! Beside the fact that you guys looked amazing. (I still have your announcement - I save all my favorites)