8.08.2007

Go home silly bird

Grandpa told us the neighbor had stopped to talk while he was out in the yard and asked him if he'd seen his homing pigeons. Now isn't that a funny thing to lose? Aren't they supposed to come home no matter what? But as I write I can see one of them sitting out on the light post. Are they malfunctioning? On strike?
Grandma and I were curious about these funny birds so we got on wikipedia to learn more about them. Did you know studies show that the birds follow man made routes to their destinations and use visual landmarks to get home? "Take your next left at the McDonald's, follow that road 4 miles and it's your third left after the movie theater." How do they do that?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

now Jenna,
I just realized you have been doing this for a long time. Why didnt you introduce it to me?? how addicting and fun. just hope that it actually does some good.(probably mostly for parents and grandparents huh?) wish I would have known I could keep up on your life from 20 minutes away this whole time!!! -jk- now I can. hope you find a job!!!! keep me in touch with that!
later
amy

FRYBABY said...

Sometimes a sedentary life is good! Enjoy it while you can because your life will eventually be like mine!! I don't have time to accomplish anything!!

KickButtMommy said...

That is impressive. Wish I was that good with directions. Who needs GPS?

Sioux said...

The "not so funny" part of homing pigeons is that if they don't come home when they're supposed to, they get their necks broken! At least that is what someone one that Woody use to work with did to his!

Anonymous said...

I would love to have heard Grandepa's exact words when he described his conversation with his neighbor. Lost homing pidgeon?!! Never a dull moment at Grandma and Grandpa's house.

jmr said...

the thing was that no one else found this ironic. I giggled to myself and enjoyed the moment.