8.09.2007

Seasons, they are a changin'

I know it really isn't even that close to fall yet but for the last few years fall has always started at the end of July for me. I would start placing orders for all of our really great fall merchandise: wreaths, dried floral items, harvest and pumpkin scented candles... Everything would smell so good as I unpacked the huge boxes that signaled the right time to start decorating for fall, my all time most favorite time of year.
I just finished a good book (on my notable mentions list) and the main character stated that our past is made of layers and so as we live on it is impossible to experience new things with out the past being linked to us still somehow.
This backs up the common recurrence in my life where I'll be going along with life and BAM! I'm hit with a strong sense of familiarity. Just a certain way the light is on a particular day and the distinct feeling of nostalgia for no real reason until I take a moment and think back to previous years and what the day signifies for me. It's a little eerie how dead on my my inner calendar can be. It pulls up a memory and lays it out for me to enjoy all over again. I like eerie, and weird. Anything to make life more real.
Fall is jam pack full of great memories. And normally it is considered the end of the seasons but it also has a lot of great beginnings.
Some things I'm looking forward too in the near future:
  • Being in the Wasatch area for the beautiful colors after 7 years of missing the mountains at their finest. (Seoul gives a hardy try and I'll admit if I could be in two places at once for the colors, Korea is a close second. Dixie misses the season almost entirely.)
  • The start of the fall line up of my favorite shows. (I know, kinda pathetic) but so much fun! Can't wait to see Kate Walsh's new show. I'm a bit scared for G.A. What will come of all the changes?

  • Starting school again!!! I pulled up Carden's logo because the beginning of the school year there is still a very vivid memory. I dust it off more than any other this time of year. New uniforms, new shiny shoes...the smells, the teachers, the creaky floors!!!

  • Traveling somewhere new to spend time with my parents who 'I miss so much sometimes it hurts to breathe'

  • Reading the last Harry Potter. (I only read them in the fall)

4 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

You are feeling nostalgic today. I do miss the way that the air felt the first day of school in Utah.

Cara said...

I like the line from "You've Got Mail" about a bouquet of freshly sharpened pencils - totally Fall!

FRYBABY said...

Fall is my favorite time of year. It is great to be able to share it with you once again! We love having you here with us! I hope that it will be an awesome experience for you too..........

Anonymous said...

I always loved the fall, especially September, until I hit 60. My birthday is in September and I just don't enjoy that addition experience any more.