10.07.2007

guessing game

I know some of you have already seen this, I think my parents sent it out when they got a copy. So don't spoil it for those who should guess what the commercial is advertising. My favorite thing about Asian ads is how serious they all sound! Good times!

Kwona didn't like the idea of me running off with the agency to do this job. Partly because they were never too informative on what was going on and also I was going to be going out of the city so I couldn't catch a train home if things weren't what they were supposed to be. There is always the concern that the 'token white girl' used in advertisements could be asked to do a lot more than 'stand there and be white'.

We caught the subway super early to meet up with the agent and other 'talent' then drove out of Seoul to a beautiful town located on a river. we pulled up to a beautiful hotel/restaurant right on the river bank and a camera crew was setting up outside for what appeared to be a major production. I thought we were possibly working with them, but not actually part of what they were up to outside since I was told it would just be a couple of shots.

Once inside we were directed to a marble foyer and I was told I would be the 'rich wife' and we would definitely be outside shooting a commercial. My new absolutely gorgeous friend from Czechoslovakia {I know it's not called that anymore, but I learned to spell it once, and dangit, I'm going to spell away} was a little flustered that she didn't get the better part. I didn't care really, we would be paid the same either way and this just meant I would have to work more. But I did get to wear better clothes so I guess I can see her point!

I didn't so much like the acting part, it wasn't much more than standing and pointing, something I got used to with other jobs. My favorite was goofing off with the camera guys because we couldn't understand each other and it made the time go by faster under those extremely hot lights and soggy summer sun. I couldn't breath right in my super tight outfit and my 'rich husband' stood on a bag of rice in most of the shots so I didn't tower over him. Our most common cue was 'look rich, and like you love to be rich' and 'smile, you are rich and very happy'.

This was the first of a string of random jobs I did for that agency and I liked it so much more than teaching at the haugwahn. Getting paid to sight see and travel around Korea couldn't possibly be a bad deal right? Right!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always loved that commercial but did not know that Kwona was worried about you being involved with it. That's what big sisters are for. You look so regal and so rich. You did good. Now let's hear it in English for once.

Cara said...

I'm guessing it's for a bank. And we need more Jenna face-time in that ad. Not nearly enough YOU.

KickButtMommy said...

The car?

Anonymous said...

I forgot I was supposed to guess about the commercial. It is obviously for Castleheim, builder of fabulous homes. ???

BIG BRO said...

I think it was about window cleaner. I almost could see myself in the car window.

"KOREAKLEEN"