11.19.2007

not always what it seems

This isn't the entry I've been dying to write. That one would have gone more along the lines of MY DREAM JOB AND THE WAY IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER... nope. Not yet anyway.

Last week I eluded to a job that I was very excited about. I can't tell you how thrilled I was. I started celebrating in my head earlier than I should have that is for sure! It felt like it was a dream coming true a couple of years ahead of schedule. A designer position with a high end furniture store where they hoped I would make a career out of it. Not a problem! I could easily see myself being with them for a very long time. I interviewed with them twice last week and both times went exceptionally well.

It has been an incredibly long weekend waiting to hear back from them. I was 99% sure I had it. I knew the only way I wasn't going to get it was some unseen obstacle and that is exactly what happened. One of the owners called to tell me they wanted to offer me a position but they have not been busy enough to take me on quite yet. The Utah location just opened but with their California locations doing so well he thinks they will be able to take me on in a couple of months, if I am still available.

I interviewed with another company last week but with the whirlwind of this possibility I wasn't as excited about it and didn't think much about it when they called for a second interview. I met with them today with the idea in my mind that if they offered me the position I would ask for the day to think about it until I heard back from the other.

They offered, I hedged, then waited and got let down in the worst way.

I called and let the other guys know I could commit now and I'm looking for the silver lining in the outcome of my day.

Chris, my new boss, let me know that they have been interviewing for a month, went through 300 resumes, and I am the only one they felt was a good fit for the position. I'm honored and hope I don't let them down. I don't know what my position is exactly. It is a professional drapery installation company that specializes in huge projects like hotels all over the map. I'll be a fireman in a way, making sure projects are on schedule, aiding in any way I can to keep everything organized, scheduling travel needs for the crews going out....who knows what else really.

Just when I think I know all, I am reminded once again that I don't know anything at all about what is best for me.

I may sound let down and I'd be lying if I said I'm not. I've wanted to cry about since he called but I'm not going to because how blessed am I to have such a great opportunity following right behind disappointment? I'd be an ungrateful little brat if I couldn't see His hand in my life.

7 comments:

Cara said...

You'd be surprised how tings work out for the best. I remember being distraught when I lost a job opportunity that I thought was going to be perfect for me, and then the next day got something totally out of the blue, that I wasn't even looking for, and now I've been working for them for almost 8 years! The other job was just a contract job for 2 years, and this one has allowed me to work part-time from home and pretty much call my own shots. Move forward with faith!

jmr said...

thanks cara, you are a gem :)

KickButtMommy said...

Hugs to you Jenna. I am with Cara, it is easy now looking at the jobs, houses, things, I HAD to have and didn't get that led all led us here!

"All things will come together for your good"

Anonymous said...

Soooo, I don't get it. What happened to Ski & Surf, or Surf & Ski, whatever? You got a great job but it isn't the one you wanted? Hmmmm. How about the Business College deal? Is that still in the works or am I hopelessly out of touch?

jmr said...

skin & see made me feel like n old ski bum so I bailed (with apologies of course) and looked for a grown up job.
I'm going to school in January at the bc, you are completely up to date vickers. as much as you can be with the way things roll around here.

Anonymous said...

Skin & See sounds a little slinky to me!! No wonder you quit so quickly! :)

jmr said...

soo funny, how did I miss that one? yeah, skin n see sounds pretty risky.