12.26.2007

Happy Boxing Day

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas! I did. I knew it'd be a little bittersweet with out my parents or brother and his family but we are pretty used to not being together for Christmas for whatever reason and I was surrounded by family and friends so I can't feel too sorry for myself! I got to talk to my parents, spend time with the family and feed my addiction to guitar hero. All in all, a really nice holiday.

I love seeing the kitty's footprints in the snow. She must wander around quite a bit, there are bunches of tracks weaving around the house in the mornings. My favorite prints stopped abruptly in the driveway, completely vanishing with out a trace. What happened there? Brrr... Stay inside scary old kitty.

I woke up this morning with the intention of going to work. I got ready, but very slowly watching the snow outside and wanting more than anything to stay inside. I checked in with the guys and it's a pretty slow day so I've been working from home. YEA! Now I can go do some returning if I feel the need to join the masses. I talk like I don't like all the craziness involved in the holiday hustle and bustle but somehow I think I would feel some kind of void if I didn't return just one thing. It's tradition. And to clarify, it isn't because I don't like my gifts, it's never about not liking them. It's a sickness. I love returning things. Kwona understands.

Boxing Day has always been one of those obscure holidays that I thought Canadians were the only ones who observed. Not true. I checked it out today here. Even South Africans celebrate it in a pretty neat way.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

I too love the hustle and bustle and have enlisted a babysitter so I too may join the masses, not to return, but I must go buy some new soap at bath and body, and yes, I must do it on one of the busiest shopping days of the year, musn't I?

Anonymous said...

Boxing Day is English and most countries that were affliated with the British Empire observe Boxing Day. I just don't know what in the world they do on Boxing Day?!
Devry and Quinn sent me a "WICKED" music book so I have been busy trying to learn to play some of those musical numbers today.
I don't do 'returns'.

KickButtMommy said...

She's right. She doesn't do returns. In fact if you are there and someone else's present does not fit, you just might be the lucky one that gets it so Vicky doesn't have to take it back! :) Miles calls me the "Queen of Returns!" It started with out wedding gifts and has never ended.

Cara said...

I thought boxing day was for boxing up your Chrismas decorations? :)

jmr said...

I'm with Cara. It makes perfect sense to have a day set aside to box up. I also have to say that my returning didn't have the magical feeling it normally does. It left me tired and not quite right in the head. It carried on the rest of the day. I should have stayed home. I bet the wicked music is fun to play. I listened to it on the way to work the other day and had it stuck in my head for days following. Catchy stuff. What a thoughtful gift. Bath and Body was NUTS yesterday, you are a brave woman kickbutt

Anonymous said...

Well, I was finally smart enough to click onto the website you posted and have learned that Cara is really close in describing Boxing Day. Only the 'boxes' are opened up and emptied instead of filled. It really has to do with boxes! Who knew? Figures that Cara would know that.