12.30.2007

giraffes and portraits

I just read an email from my parents and in it they asked to see the portraits Bry did for my Christmas gift. So here you go, plus a bonus preview of your Christmas gift mom and dad. I love this image of Grandma and Grandpa, I hope you do too! (sorry for the not as good as the original copy. Just wait until you see the real deal, it's as awesome as Grandpa Awesome himself!)The series Bry made for me looks like it was made to go right there doesn't it? I didn't know how much I would like them, nothing to do with the supreme talent of the photographer, but more the idea of having portraits of just me with out cute kids in the photo, or an animal or three for distraction. I love it though. He has a way of capturing heart and soul. I tied up my money tree yesterday and I'm always surprised after I add another twisty tie how big it has gotten over the last five years. It was barely a foot tall when I moved into my teeny tiny apartment by the river and bought it as a house warming gift for myself. I loved that apartment because it was purely mine and the bike trail ran right outside my window. My funny little tree reminds me of that time, and all the moves it has made with me, this one being the hardest for us both since it hardly fits in my car anymore.

My parents also mentioned that they had been out shopping for giraffes like mine. I laughed when the said they ended up at the same stall where I had bought mine at a huge outdoor market called Bruma.

It was a quiet day when we were out looking for my long necked friends. I had already priced them at another market so I had an amount in mind that I wanted to spend. I was walking down a small alley alone while my dad looked for his apron. I passed a stall without giraffes and when the guy asked me to come in to take a look I told him politely that he didn't have what I was looking for. This didn't slow him down, he was very helpful and fun. Once he knew what I was after his friend ran off to get me a bunch to chose from. I told him I was very particular about what I wanted. The first batch weren't anything special so the friend went and got more, and more, and then even more when I still hadn't found any I really liked. They didn't act put out at all by how picky I was being. We talked prices all the while. Of course he started extremely high and as we negotiated he wouldn't go as low as I wanted. More haggling and more giraffes and soon we had a deal that both of us could live with. I didn't mind at all hand carrying these bad boys home after all that hard bargaining.

Mom and dad did find giraffes at the same stall, and the guy remembered me even, but didn't give them as good of a deal! Tough luck there guys!


Do you see what book I'm reading? I spent a large part of the day in bed getting thoroughly involved in the world of wizards. I'm purposely limiting how much time I can read because I want to make it last.

9 comments:

Cara said...

you're finally getting around to "the book of 2007"? Have you been successful in avoiding hearing spoilers for the last 6 months?

Anonymous said...

Loved the pic of the two awesome people. They are so cute. Thanks for posting it and giving us a preview of what's waiting for us.
However, you didn't have to share our ineptness in bargaining!!
Mom and Dad

KickButtMommy said...

I do love that picture of Gma and Gpa. I saw them last night at their house. Your room looks so beautiful and inviting. Enjoy that book of yours!

Anonymous said...

NICE giraffes. Good Eye, Sushicat. Your folks have more for their giraffe money than you do. They have the memory of you making your bargain, and to parents that's a very sweet memory and well worth every penny to obtain the reminder.
Like the picture set RC1 made of you.

jmr said...

finally huh? Cade gave it to me for Christmas. I've had to plug my ears many times, believe me. You were near by and didn't call Heather?? What the?

FRYBABY said...

When Cade heard that you had not read the book he insisted upon buying it for you.....we don't even own the book and no one here has read it but Cade received so much joy spending his money on you! The joy from giving is wonderful!

KickButtMommy said...

Jenna, I texted you that we were at gma's and wondered why you didn't respond. Then today I realized that I don't have your new number with me!!!!! Can you call me on my cell or email me so we can make a plan. I was wondering if tomorrow evening we could meet at gma's?

Anonymous said...

Me, too! Me, too!

KickButtMommy said...

Yeah Vickers, you come too! What a party it would be then!!!!!!