1.26.2008

the confessions of a candyholic

FIRST: A discovery. An expensive one, but a discovery all the same. My parents introduced me to a candy and I really hated it at first. Then started to enjoy (why did I even keep eating it you wonder? It's candy.) And now to my dismay: crave. Dismay because it seems to be a ZA thing. Can't find it here anywhere. I have been hoarding the limited amount I brought home with me. Today as I found the the last few pieces to be old and disgusting I took my obsession online. For R 9.45 (+ shipping of course) I can once again feed the craving. Not likely, but good to know.

Why are all my favorite snacks so inaccessible? My very most favorite candy on the planet is HI CHEW. It is a.maze.ing. I experienced it for the first time when I did a visa run to Tokyo. My last minute poorly planned trip took me to the airport where I spent the night like a vagabond, then turned around and came home again. While there, I never quite figured out the currency and exchanged what I thought was enough to buy dinner. It wasn't. The noodle machine (YES! There are noodle machines there!) said I didn't give it enough money. What I could afford: Candy. SO I ate Hi Chew for dinner and breakfast and then as I walked home I passed a store and AH HA! MI Chew, the Korean version. Hooked for life. Once, in Seattle, I bought out the entire stock at the Asian store. Ummm.

Please tell me you have all seen this movie. It used to be one of my favorites. Back when our collection of VHS tapes were kept in a numbered order. Filed by category and title with the option to be cross referenced by genre, and again by the number they were given. I would pour over the blue binder (titled 'purpose: for saving souls' obviously the work of non other than my dad) looking for a movie to watch.

I can't remember anything about this movie specifically, except that it was insanely strange and entertaining.

The reason I thought of it today was because I was searching my computer for a lost document (it through a full on fit, shut down, and in the process deleted a project I'd been working on) and so, out of frustration, I took a detour and went through some pictures for fun. I noticed something..

My most frequently asked question is: Did you do something different to your hair? Yes. I change it a lot. But I get asked more when I haven't actually done anything at all to it. Seeing the last year's worth of pictures tho chronicles that I shouldn't be so surprised when I get asked that question.















"Time flies on wings of lightning, we cannot call it back. It comes, then passes forward along its onward track. And if we are not mindful, the chance will fade away, for life is quick in passing. ’Tis as a single day"

Took this from a talk about wasting time and such. (blogging is so worthy of time spent, even I just spend 10 minutes of my day -and at least of minute of yours- talking about hair)

Can you name the song the quote comes from?

7 comments:

Brookeh said...

Now I want to know who does your hair!

Cara said...

That was a truly random post, I don't think I understood half of it. I can understand being hooked on foriegn foods. After my trip to London I was hooked on their soda Lilt, and had my dad bring some back for me everytime he flew there.

KickButtMommy said...

I have to agree wtih Brookeh, how do you get so many fab hairdos. Miles is addicted to Harribo Troppi Fruitis available in Germany or special German Delis. Next time I go to Africa or Korea I will totally hook you up! Promise.

FRYBABY said...

I remember from my childhood having some Asian candy with dissolvable wrappers....does anyone know what they were called and how can I get some? I am counting on my sisters for this answer!!

Anonymous said...

"IMPROVE THE SHINING MOMENTS;
Don't let them pass you by.
Work whwile the sun is radiant;
Work, for the night draws nigh.
We cannot bid the sunbeams
To lengthen out their stay,
Nor can we ask the shadow
To ever stay away."

Good timing. I just got home from church! Bingo!! Gotta love the Sacrament hymns.

Anonymous said...

Frybaby, Just because you ate the candy with the wrapper on and thought the wrapper dissolved doesn't mean that it did.
J/K I had forgotten all about that candy, being a teenager instead of a five-year old. Can't help you but I bet Doug or Brian could.

jmr said...

It's rice paper isn't it frybaby? I've had those candies, available at the Asian stores I'm sure! those harribo candies Miles is addicted to - are they the gummy bear things? (Pronounced goomee) So glad I'm not the only one with a serious love for unobtainable snacks. I have a slew of connections in the hair world, I am a junkie when it comes to hair care. Jackie does my hair now. She's awesome.