1.20.2008

watching the clouds

I was asked for the story behind why Camel is called Camel. Here you go:

When Coree and I were younger she would come and stay for the summer. For the most part we would have a lot of fun. I have ten thousand memories of these summers. Singing with the blender, (yes you read that right) EFYs that for the most part we didn't take advantage of, trips to the cabin, a trek, fighting over Steven, sleeping on the trampoline, watching While You Sleeping every single day for one entire summer, slurpees, fighting over how messy my room got when she came to stay.... (I was such an uptight child.)

This particular summer is so vivid in my memory. It started out rainy and green and we were spending a lot of time with friends up near Mueller Park area and for once, not fighting over boys or anything else. If I had to chose just one summer with her to be my favorite, this would be it.

But I digress, none of this has anything to do with the nickname.

One night I woke up to gulping. And not just any regular gulping but VERY LOUD gulping. Directly over my head.
I said, "CAMEL!" hoping this subtle name calling would make it stop.
The gulping was coming from Coree. Drinking what sounded like a gallon of water. Gulping stops momentarily for her to say, "duck?" gulping resumes.
Exasperated, "NO! CAMEL!!" I'm thinking she has got to stop. Gulping stops. Yes. Finally.
"Duck?" Gulping again.
"CAMEL!"
"Duck." More gulping....
I fell asleep at this point, lulled back to dreamland by the incessant gulping I suppose and next morning we found this exchange hilarious and thus, the birth of Camel.

I don't have much to say about my pictures of the desert. I guess the usual desire to be there is obvious.

I have a paper to write about a place, or object in nature that holds a lot of emotion for me. Strong memories evoked by the place, good or bad, and how I am inspired by this place to design.

The desert would be an obvious option for me. I'm having a hard time putting it into perspective though. The colors, the textures, the overall affect of so much beauty in such a hostile enviroment. How do you capture that in design? School rocks. I love it!!

Do you remeber not so long ago when I was cozy and comfortable in my desert worried about leaving it?

Me too! Now I'm even happier here, longing for it.

6 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Finally we know about Camel. And I can honestly say that I have never longed for the dessert. Although I find myself pining for the ocean every day and it is only an hour away.

Sioux said...

Thanks for the explanation on Camel - Funny story; but I kinda wondered when she came back with 'Duck' if you were supposed to duck under the covers so as not to be spit on! The desert area is so appealing with the beautiful colors in the sand and rock, the fauna/flora in it's albeit unusual forms and colors - and especially today, as I watch the snow whirling about in the wind outside my window! HOW LONG BEFORE SPRING?

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm glad to know the nickname 'Camel' was not in reference to her appearance, which was why we were all confused in the first place.
As far as school, desert, and artistic effects are concerned....sounds like you are growing up, and I don't mean height-wise thank goodness.
Hope that you and Camel keep making those great memories together b/c we love you both.

Cara said...

Heather may not pine for the desert, but she definitely pines for dessert! Does anybody pine for the woods?

Amy said...

Jenna,
You get more and more amazing to me. I just love you and miss you so very much. I miss all our fun youth times, and wish we could have taken advantage of more here in the desert!! Which I am enjoying my afternoon walks everyday in the sun, while your all sitting in a blizzard! :) jk
see you in two weeks:)

FRYBABY said...

So why would Coree reply 'Duck' back? You guys are good because I can't ever remember what is said in the middle of the night. All I know is that someone was talking and I am not sure it was even me!