9.02.2008

lesson learned from the ding

The art of losing isn't hard to master,
so many things seem filled with the intent
to be lost that their loss is no disaster.

Lose something every day. Accept the fluster
of lost door keys, the hour badly spent.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

Then practice losing farther, losing faster:
places, and names, and where it was you meant
to travel. None of these will bring disaster.

I lost my mother's watch. And look! my last, or
next-to-last, of three loved houses went.
The art of losing isn't hard to master.

I lost two cities, lovely ones. And, caster,
some realms I owned, two rivers, a continent.
I miss them, but it wasn't a disaster.

-Even losing you (the joking voice, a gesture
I love) I shan't have lied. It's evident the art of losing's not too hard to master
thought it may look like {Write it!} like disaster.

"one art" from The Complete Poems 1927-79 - Elizabeth Bishop

Why this poem came to mind today, not really sure. I guess I was thinking a lot about how much I value things that I shouldn't and wishing I could change that habit. I walked outside this beautiful fall morning to find my car with a new ding in it. Not a big one, but an annoying one, left by someone in the night.

I wanted to cry at first when I saw my trusty silver friend. It seems to be taking a slow brutal beating these days. But no more. I made an appointment to make amends. We will start fresh, my friend, and the dings will come to a stop. By the time I was done with dealing with this I had been reminded that my things are just that. Things.

But, I like my things just so.

Add this to my unusual list: I love to organize my things and clean my things and disinfect them too.

But I think if you took them all away I would still be OK. {gulp.} Can you imagine? Could I really be OK if I had to part with my things? I think of people my parents are friends with, with not a thing to their name and I know they are happy, so I could be too.

Easier said, I'm sure but I liked to think that I passed this test today. No temper, no tears, just resolving and realizing again that I don't much care what obstacle comes my way. I like finding that it can be handled, and so surprised when I see it from the other side, accomplished.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You lament about value of things and the loss of things was done with such grace and class. But it did remind of one of George Carlin's famous routines in which he immortalizes the importance of his 'stuff'. "That's your stuff, but this is my stuff. Where am I going to put my stuff? I'll just put my stuff over here away from your stuff because it's MY stuff." Etc.
You both give great wakeup calls about the importance and nonimportance of 'stuff'/'things'.

Cara said...

Once you get past one ding, the rest are easier to handle. It's like scars on your body. Or on your kids' bodies. "Ah, he didn't need that perfect face anyway..."

KickButtMommy said...

It's tough I agree, but you handle it much better than I!

FRYBABY said...

Children really help you to realize that 'things' are nothing to stress over because there is a surety that those 'things' will most likely get ruined or disappear and your life goes on. I got over scratches and dents a LONG time ago. Human relationships are much more important......especially my children:)

Kent and Shan said...

I think you're totally amazing! I love your insight. I'm so glad you came tonight, it was so good to see you!!