9.14.2008

school, work and the end of internet dating

I've had a really great first week back to school. I'm excited about my classes. Two design and three must haves. It will be an intense semester since Space Planning has been said to be the hardest class of the program. We'll see. I'm not taking the threats lightly, I did have to acquire SIX textbooks for the course.

On the work front I'm still enjoying myself. I feel like it is a huge advantage to be working for a designer of Aubrey's caliber. I knew there had to be a snag somewhere and I've found it but I have yet to find the solution. I am looking for ways to get past it so I can go back to fully enjoying myself without the nagging in the back of my head that I'll never get over the feeling of being criticized every time I'm at work. "It's making me a stronger designer and person." Repeat 900 times.

I promised funny dating stories and man do I have one for you. I'll share it with you briefly but please know I'm not telling the story to be mean about this guy. I'd never be cruel.

First, who would lie about their height? I wouldn't. I love being tall. And while I've dated guys shorter than me before I prefer not to.

I met up with someone for lunch this week who told me he was 6'1. Then why is it that when we stood in line for our sandwiches at Toasters could I look down on his shoulders? True, I was wearing heels but this was still off by my calculations and previous experience because anything over 6' is good. I brought it up immediately. His response? Oh, girls are never as tall as they say they are so he didn't think it mattered. OK. So integrity isn't too high on his list of traits. Par for what I've seen this round.

We got our food {YUM!} and he couldn't eat he was so worked up. He never finished any of his thoughts so I'm did my best to put him at ease, enjoyed my lunch and entertainment until he wanted to tell me a story. He asked how much time I have before he would begin telling me he loved telling this story. Gulp. I don't think it is ever a good sign when faced with a story to have the storyteller ask for a time limit. Consult my watch. I have 20 minutes to get to the office so get going buddy. 'The long version or the Reader's Digest?' The latter please.

40 minutes later he's finally winding it down. He's lost lucidity a few times throughout his story and just stared off into space to think about who knows what. I'd take this as my cue to comment and try to change the subject but he'd get right back into his story. {His story was ironically about how he'd been knocked into a coma as a kid and about spending a week as an insane person in a hospital} I'm gnawing on my arm to stay focused and polite and wondering if he'd notice if I ducked around the corner and ran for my car when he become completely alert. 'Jenna, tell me, will there be a second date?'

I froze.

This guy is obviously troubled. I would rather be a cat lady than go out again but I say 'Sure' with so much enthusiasm I even believe it. Sheesh.

Don't worry, I don't answer my phone anymore anyway.

So there you have it. The last date to round two of dating online. Thus ends an era that will not be repeated. It was really fun the first time when I lived in St. George. I met some amazing people but this time around all I've met are {mostly} liars and crazy people.

Good riddance and goodnight!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

First rule Jenna: only go out with someone you know or someone who is recommended by at least two of your friends. Crazy people are dime a dozen and online dating ranks you as one of the crazy people.
Second rule: integrity works both ways. If a guy asks you about the possibility of a second date....TELL HIM NO!!!
Crabby aunt has spoken.

FRYBABY said...

The 'staring off into space' part sounds like my dentist! That makes me even more scared to go back!! And as far as the designer goes.....maybe he has some sort of inferiority complex when it comes to competition and a young girl with so much potential!!!

Cara said...

Totally awesome story. Don't you just love those people who have no self-awareness?

jenna marie said...

not that I need to defend my reasoning but...well...nope, I don't have anything. Momentary lapse of judgement? You are so right Vickers. I'm a liar and a crazy person too. Shoot, how did this happen? :) Wrestle with a pig...
Frybaby, don't go back!!!!

KickButtMommy said...

Yikes, that is one for the books. Remind me to never try internet dating.

Anonymous said...

JMR, I think you are hilarious and I love you.
As far as the Space Planning class, I can see why it would be intimidating. It seems to require a pretty BIG MAN to plan out and design Space. But have at it, Jenna. If anyone can take over Space you can.

Sarah said...

You'll do great again this semester Jenna! Your date sounds hilarious but awful...I can remember how hard it is to say no to a 2nd date! Good choice though on no more internet dating. Love you!

Jackie Sanders said...

AHAHAHAHH!!!!!! JENNA!!!!
So, have I told you that I really am 6'2! Yeah, I don't look that tall, but its true!
I ADORE you!!! AND your special way with words (knawing on your arm...LOVE IT!)
AH! What can I say to all your fellow internet hopefuls?
And how dare you put a picture of a PEACH up!!! How Dare!
Oh, and school...it will be over in no time, and you'll WISH you were in school again!

Karley said...

OF COURSE I REMEMBER YOU! It has been forever! What have you been up to? Cute blog. I will add it to my list. Ya, I am so glad you found me. Wahoo!