10.29.2008

a good year to be 27

I got lost two sundays ago in Edmonds. I set out from my grandma's place with the intent to wander off until things were unfamiliar.

This was pretty easy to accomplish since it was foggy and a little disorienting. I had a moments hesitation about my plan when I came to a point far from home where things looked familiar again but I didn't know what relation this familiarity was to home. I stood on the corner for a minute thinking thoughts along the lines of have I been gone long enough that my parents might come looking for me? It was exciting and a little disappointing when I realized I wasn't as lost as I thought I was. Fantastic crisp fall morning to go for a wandering walk.

I made a four legged friend and together we roamed the streets. He chased squirrels, I took pictures. It was a beautiful friendship. We parted ways when he found a big black lab to chase and I decided it was time to figure out how to get home.



















27 today! An hour into it and I'm feeling pretty good about 27. It'll be a good year. The design program is taking longer than expected so I can expect to be in school at least a semester longer than planned. I'll graduate college at 28. I don't know how I feel about this yet. I know I should just enjoy the process but I am impatient. But then what will it be after that? Probably just the start of something else I'll be impatient about seeing the end result.

A common theme in my life I guess. I'm going to try to curb that a little. I've got a whole year to be 27 and I think I'll make it a goal to stop looking forward to the next thing and enjoy the thing at hand. That's a funny kind of balancing act. Live in the moment but keep the future in sight as well. I've painted my version of a perfect future but I've decided I don't know anything about what would be my perfect future beside the typical answers. I'm more willing than ever to be wrong about what I consider perfect because I've been pleasantly surprised by the unknown. But that is much too introspective and I've learned these kinds of entries here only embarrass me so I'll just say that my birthday resolution will be to make this year count.

10 comments:

whitey said...

A finished person is a boring person.
Anna Quindlen
Yes it is a good year to be 27!

Cara said...

I love the first picture of the foggy tree tops. SO pretty.

KickButtMommy said...

Happy Birthday my darling Jenna! I am so blessed to know you and have you in my life! Thanks for being born and for joining this family so that later I could join it and be your cousin!

Vee said...

Happy BIRTHDAY!! I hope this year turns out as fantastic as you want it to. Beautiful Pictures. You are so talented.

Jackie Sanders said...

What a way with words! I say give up design, and become a poet/photographer!
Happy Birthday TWIN!!!!
What a perfect person to share a birthday with! (besides you know who!!!)
I hope its a GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRR-8 day!
Love me!!!

Devry said...

Happy Birthday! As for graduating college at 28, embrace it. I personally think we go to college too early...learning is wasted on most 18 year olds just excited to be out of their parents house. I know I didn't retain nearly as much graduating at 22 as I would have if I would have graduated a bit later.

Sioux said...

You are such an accomplished person in so many aspects, and with the experiences that you are enjoying now, AND a college degree-what guy wouldn't jump at the chance to grab you up? Not that that should be the end result, but it's nice work if you can get it...

Love your photos!

Jen said...

I hope you got my email! I thought about you all day! Happy birthday, my dear. I love your resolution...and I have a feeling you will keep it!

rickandlaurie said...

Happy birthday Jenna! I feel so bad I didn`t call you on the actual day. I have to say that I love reading your posts. You are an amazing writer! You`re HOT for 27 :o)

Anonymous said...

Geesh! And I forgot all about your birthday. Didn't even send you a prickly hedgehog this year. Well, you obviously don't need grwoing up pats any more. You have matured into a lovely, gracious, and intelligent woman ready to leave her mark on the world. Happy Birthday sweet niece.