2.11.2009

if you give a mouse a cookie

My blog should be called 'another distraction from studying' because that is what I should be doing but I'm finding all kinds of things I'd rather be doing, blogging is just one of many. Like this project I've been stewing over. I picked this paper up a couple weeks ago at the art store {good times Bearded M, remember?} with good intentions but the only time I want to work on it is when I should be doing something else... Snoopy wandered over and dared me to stay inside instead of go play with him in the snow. He almost had me, but I resisted. We played just the other day, he knows I'm usually up for some fun.
After taking my laptop to the computer wizards last week I've been dreading looking at my back up discs I made of my pictures from the last 2 years. The solution the wizards came up with was to wipe my computer and start fresh. So I lost everything due to misunderstanding about who was doing the backing up of things before this took place. {How was I supposed to do it if I left the thing with them?!} Luckily I'd backed up my images last week before I took it in. I didn't think I could handle it if I'd somehow messed it up and the images weren't there. Imagine my horror when I put the first one in today and it said 'blank disc'. I seriously had to blink back tears. January-June 2008 are gone. But the other 7 0f 8 discs are just fine so I can get over the loss of just a fraction.
so my internship is turning out to be pretty silly, though I enjoy it completely. I love to organize, so 6 hours a week of organizing endless amounts of fabrics and other materials isn't all that bad. I'm located at the heart of the place so plenty is going on around me to entertain me as I play in the library. I can also take whatever I want so I'm well stocked with fantastic textiles for upcoming projects. I like the people and have fun shooting the breeze with the residential designers but as for the commercial exposure I was hoping for? Not happening. A lot is going on there and I don't blame them one bit for not having much time for the intern. Lucky for me I know most internships work out this way, I was just hoping for greatness. 9 weeks left, something could still happen. I have to give a presentation at the end of my internship to show what I learned. So far, I've taken a lot of pictures of piles of fabrics. I'll come up with some fancy way of showing what I did.

Oh, and as for the title of this entry. It's my favorite book of all times about distractions. Read it. The mouse is adorable.

6 comments:

Lindee said...

I felt the same way about my internship. It's a shame really. All of the interns at my current job get to do all sorts of important things. It kind of makes me sad that I missed out during mine. Oh well though, it was still fun!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jenna, I'm so sorry about your photographs. You know, I almost called a while back when I read that you were going to take your machine in. I was going to offer to do a quick back up of everything for you, just in case.

I thought it'd be a bother though, but now I wish I'd have called. I hope that you didn't lose too much.

You know, maybe that first CD has the images, but has a corrupt index and shows the CD as unreadable or blank. Maybe I could get them off if there's something there.

By the way, your paper creation is beautiful!

Jackie Sanders said...

I didn't realize you were doing an internship.
Yes, at least all the fabric is organized, and you'll have SOMETHING to show for it.
After my internship, all I had was receipts from getting coffee for the boss!!!

Anonymous said...

I can see where internships are NOT like student teaching. I taught one quarter (3 months) in a 2nd grade classroom and the next quarter in a 6th grade classroom. Never a spare, or dull moment, but I loved it!

Amy said...

you have the funnest life right now! i love that artwork! pick my out some cute fabric! im into sewing believe it or not!!

FRYBABY said...

Ashton said all he did at his internship with the National Weather Service was sit at a computer and look at graphs! He said it was pretty boring and that it made him decide NOT to be a weatherman!