3.07.2009

all aboard the USNS Comfort


I'm taking my finals early and going on an adventure.

What I know: I leave in less than a month. We hit a bunch of countries in the Caribbean and South America. The medical volunteers do somewhere around 5000 surgeries in the 4 months we're traveling. The USNS Comfort does amazing things.

My mom was invited to go for a rotation to give her medical expertise {for the month of May}. She gave me the email for the lady in charge on Sunday after she told me my plans to go work in Europe on a farm were faulty. The coordinator wrote back and said all the non medical volunteer positions were full. Thursday night I got an email asking if I was still available. Of course. Five minutes later {no joke} she had emailed back to let me know I was in and I was filling out forms and getting my flights.

More details when I know some myself. Personally I'm good with the little details I have. All I really care about is I'm going to be a part of something that is changing lives and know it will change mine too.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahoy there matey...what a wonderful time you will have especially in May when your mom can join you!! Love ya...mom

whitey said...

Can not wait to read about your adventures! What a great opportunity for you both.

Anonymous said...

You are certainly a windstorm of "what ifs" and "maybes". Dirt farmer in Europe?! What happened to nanny in Greece?! You wear me out Pretty Lady. Have a blast for me while you are all asea.

Devry said...

how fun. i'm jealous. i can't wait to hear about all the places you will visit.

Lindee said...

geez....i wish i did cool stuff. that sounds like a great opportunity! i'm jealous as well....

Caty said...

I am SO excited for you and the many pictures you will be posting on your blog. ;)

Sarah said...

Awesome Jennafriend! I'm so excited for your new adventure!

Cara said...

The best part is Mommy in May! Mother's Day aboard a medical ship serving the disadvantaged. You could make something of that. Way to live by the seat of your pants. As always, take lotsa pictures!

jenna marie said...

agreed! Just wish she was hanging around for the whole thing!

Anonymous said...

Does this mean you won't be blogging for 4-5 months? I can't go that long without a Sushicat fix.

Kent and Shan said...

how fun!! you're seriously living my other life..you must send me pictures!!

KickButtMommy said...

I can't believe i missed this post. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I want to do one day, when I grow up.