3.22.2009

The Awesome's new loo

It has been the talk around here for some time now to remodel The Awesome's bathroom. Grandma mentioned wanting to update the room awhile ago and I'm sure that is what sparked the idea. Somehow it became a while you were out, extreme bathroom remodel involving the entire family, including those out of state even.

Intricate plans were laid. My parents coincidentally came to do their taxes while Grandpa and Grandma made their annual pilgrimage to Phoenix to relax and enjoy some fun in the sun.
I was given the task to come up with a color scheme. {sigh. why do they make me do the hard stuff?} The inspiration: towels found at Ross a month or so ago. The aqua blue brought out unexpected blue swirls in the existing laminate making everything come together beautifully.
Construction began early Monday morning when the one man demo team {aka Doug} showed up. He scraped, sanded, and ripped his way through the bathroom with Michele there doing her thing as well. I couldn't believe how much work they got done that first day! {for more details on the work done while I was at school/work check the Frybaby and PBPB blogs}The above picture is what the bathroom looked like at the end of Day One.

Day Two {Tuesday} I found the women still tearing it up {or should I say putting it down} with their regular zest after 7 pm. Doug, Michele {and Tony too}, Kris and Terry all put in long hours each day.
Day Three and Four {Wednesday and Thursday} were more of the same. More painting, scrubbing, caulking, the new toilet went in, details were being worked on.













Day Five {Friday} Carpet Day
We found ourselves in a tight pinch without any carpet laying expertise.

We called in a professional to save the day. {thank you Bry}

My dad and Bry are buddies now so it was necessary to take a few breaks to play.

The finishing touches came together Friday night. I'm impressed with how smoothly the project went. Again, I was gone during the day so I was being true to the designer stereotype doing the fluffy stuff and mostly missing out on the real labor.

Happy Awesome 66th Anniversary!!
















11 comments:

KickButtMommy said...

Very cool! What did they say? Have they seen it yet? Can't wait for the reaction.

Cara said...

I believe it is the 66th anniversary this year - way cool blue design Jenz. Love the bow on the toilet, too!

Anonymous said...

For a tiny bathroom you surely got some big men in there. What a special treat for the crew and the AWESOMES. My fav photo is the one with Michele in the tub and Kris on the floor with the humongous scissors. I so missed a great week. I'm proud of you all.

Anonymous said...

I love the color scheme! I'm a sucker for blue...not gonna lie

FRYBABY said...

Yeah Cara you are right on the 66th. I can always calculate the year by how old Parker is because he was 0 years old when we flew out for their 50th...
We had a great time working together all week. Doug and Kris did most of the hard labor but I helped:)
Great job on the designer duties AND we sure appreciate Bry stepping in and saving us at the last minute! Thanks RC1!!

Anonymous said...

Wow! It looks awesome! I loved being a part of it all and had a good time too. I appreciate being asked to help.

And I'm sure your grandparents loved coming home to this wonderful surprise. It was a very kind and thoughtful gift that showed a lot of heart. Great anniversary gift!

Anonymous said...

What a fun-filled, hard working week we had. One that we will remember a long time. Thanks to all who helped make it happen. The Awesomes love it and G-ma shed tears over how beautiful it is and because she felt so loved. PBPB

jenna marie said...

oh man, and 60 sounded like a lot to me, 66!! I haven't heard any news on the reaction. Can't wait!

My favorite picture is of your sisters as well Vickers.

Amy said...

oh my, first your hair!!! i couldnt believe it! i had no idea you have been wanting to cut it! that was so brave and adventurous!! wow super cute, and it fits you totally!! awesome remodeling! and im sorry about your grandma. so sorry, she is ina much better place! please call sometime so we can chat!!

Anonymous said...

You who made majic by remodeling our bath are the awesome ones. We both were surprised beyond belief. I was shaking and crying at the sametime, to think you would do such a nice thing for us. We love all of you, THANKS A MILLION. Now lets see what room needs help and where can we go. Kidding of oourse. Love you so much for the biggest and best surprise thar I can remember. Mom and Dad.Granny

Lindee said...

it looks so great! i've been so excited to see the pictures. everyone really did a great job!