3.24.2009

the skinny


Saturday we went to the JSB to be oriented to the upcoming trip. Here's what I learned.

How it came to be: The church was asked if our missionaries could be used as translators in the different ports. Yes, is there anything else we can do? Supplies? OK. Staff? OK. This year is the first year for the church has been involved and they didn't think they would be able to find enough people who could take months off of work at a time. We are completely staffed and ready to go.

Countries we will visit: Haiti, Dominican Republic, Antigua, Columbia, Panama, Nicaragua, and El Salvador

What we're doing: Over 90,000 operations and procedures will be performed. Not only medical, but also dental, veterinary, engineering and much, much more.

How I'll be involved since I get squeamish over a sliver: Non medical volunteer doing a bunch of stuff that is still undefined. I'll be the team leader for June and July. What does that mean? the navy requested that there be a team leader to brief with them each day. I make assignments for onshore stuff and solve problems. I love solving problems. I was also introduced as the official photographer. Pressure? nah.

Weather news: We are traveling during the beginning of hurricane season. They hope we are out of there early enough to miss it all, but in the event of disaster our project will change and we'll go wherever there is need.

Sad, but manageable news: No real internet. Which means I will be blogging via proxy. Dad will be the new cat. I'll be able to post thru him and view comments thru my military email address. Where there is a will there is way.

We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are. - anais nin

8 comments:

Amy said...

wow!! awesome! another great experience! you will be the best problem solver and photographer! your awesome! so good talking to you(well kinda), i miss you even more now!

Cara said...

I hope you get the chance to say "All aboard! Anchor's away!" You gotta do it, at least once.

FRYBABY said...

I guess you will be in charge of keeping everyone in ship-shape!! It's amazing what the church can throw together, isn't it?? You will have a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

Sioux said...

Jenna - I am so proud that you have the courage to step out and do these things. You have so much to offer, and wisdom beyond your years. This will prove to be a great experience for you and the time you need to step outside of yourself, and yet still be able to come home knowing yourself better than you ever have.

Anonymous said...

What! They didn't assign you to be the Cruise Director?! Guess this will be no Love Boat, but definitely a boat full of love.

Nettie said...

Stay safe Jenna! We'll all be thinking about you on the homefront!

Anonymous said...

Glad they recognize your talents, way to go. I'm so proud of you.














Glad they recognized a few of your many talents, way to go. Will love to hear of your many adventures. Love you, take good care of yourself. Gramdma

Jen said...

I have tried to email you, but you haven't responded. Am I going to your spam? I still have the same email address, so email me ASAP. I REALLY need to talk to you!
Lof you!