3.21.2009

edmonds grandma


heaven had an angel come home today. My dad's mom, Marva, passed away this morning. While we are all sad about her passing, more than the sadness I feel assured that she was met by many people who went before her who loved her as much as we all do here. I look forward to a year from now when we can do her temple work and she can be sealed to my grandpa.

She blended two things I love to do; speed walking and shopping. She would peruse the morning paper for deals to get an idea of where the bargains were hiding, put on her walking shoes, and away she went. When I was young it was difficult to keep up with her, I'd do a combo skip-run to keep up. She wasn't messing around. When you went on a walk with Grandma you knew you were on serious business.

She had diabetes for as long as I can remember so her purse was the source of some interesting sugar free treats. I can't say I like sugar free candy, but it was fun to try one if she offered. Her fridge was always stocked with sugar free/caffeine free Pepsi and sugar free Klondike bars. She made the most amazing pies.

Night time rituals were something I looked forward too. She'd check her sugar level and then have a piece of toast with peanut butter and a banana on top. {still a favorite of mine} She pronounced favorite like favoright.

She and I pulled out the photo albums a couple visits ago and she told me stories behind some of her favorite pictures. She paused on one of herself when she was young and made the comment, "I was beautiful once." I think she was beautiful always.

She loved the color orange. Still to this day if I see anything particularly beautiful and orange my first thought is my grandma would like that. I might have thought that today when I saw this flower, but I could just be sentimental now.
I loved when she and my grandpa would sit in their matching recliners and hold hands across the divide. I loved her wild socks and pretty lipsticks. I loved the predictability of meals at their house. Always with sunflower seeds in a pringles can and the option of blue cheese salad dressing.

I was her 'pin-up' girl. In the main bathroom at their house hangs a poster size black and white photo of me posing by the tub, in my birthday suit, with one leg up on the toilet seat {keeping me modest} and this crazy grin on my face. I'm maybe 3? It's hung there since the picture was taken. I should probably be embarrassed but I've always felt pretty cool to be the grandkid with the big picture in the bathroom.

We love you Grandma.

9 comments:

Sioux said...

Things happen so quickly - although I know she hasn't been well for some time, we were just talking about her yesterday. Hard to believe that she is gone; but we know she is happier, well and with her love. Your memories are so vivid and beautiful - it's fun to read them and imagine them in my head. Thanks Jenna for being such a sweet grand daughter and lovely young woman.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You've written a beautiful post here and just reading it I feel like I've met her and know what kind of person she was. I know your family will appreciate this a lot!

Anonymous said...

When I die I want you to write my eulogy. You have such a tender way with loving a person with your words and visual scrollwork. Your grandmother was a blessed woman. I hope that you get that poster from her main bath to keep for your bath. What a beautiful sentiment.

Nettie said...

Jenna,...such a beautiful post about your grandma. You'll always have those memories to keep forever in your heart - that way they'll never go away. She sounds like she was a wonderful person and fun to be with.

whitey said...

Speed walking and shopping she sounds like she was my kind of woman, great post about a sweet Grandmother.

Jackie Sanders said...

Oh, I'm just so glad that your parents went up while they could. What a nice post, and tribute.

Jen said...

I loved your grandma and learned the art of pb and bananas from her as well.

Also, Jen I NEED to talk to you. Please call me ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

FRYBABY said...

It's been a long time since I have seen her but I know that she was a wonderful woman. I love the pictures you paint about the people in your world.

Anonymous said...

You truly have a talent to paint your words, so all can "picture" what you are saying. A rare but wonderful blessing. Your mother and I just cried reading it. So many wonderful memories!!! Thank you dear one. Love, PBPB