3.01.2009

signs of life

it was a stretch to find anything showing signs of acknowledging the arrival of March outside today. After awhile, it became the game of the day and I was happy to find these hopeful yellow buds a couple blocks over in one of my favorite gardens.


Growing up, my science teacher Mrs. Taylor had this love for nature that was easy to get caught up in. She had us press our ears into the grass one afternoon and asked if we could hear the earth's heartbeat. Even at that young age, when I was generally accepting, I thought she was pushing it. I'm actually sure Jackie and I laughed about the idea. But the thought has stuck with me over the years and maybe I'm asking for it now too, but I kinda like thinking about funny things like that. Especially when the seasons are changing when there is something in the air. Fission? {Call me what you want to call me.}

Enough of my tree-huggerish ramblings, on a whim, I applied for an au pair position in Greece yesterday. I'll hear back from them by the end of the week. Now that would be something different wouldn't it? I have 2 months to kill between semesters and hope to come up with something along the lines of international adventure dome. An internship would be ideal, but really, I'm up for anything.

a cool Cherokee parable if you are in the mood:

“A fight is going on inside me, it is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

One wolf is evil. He is fear, anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, jealousy, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, competition, superiority, and ego.

The other is good.

He is joy, peace, love, hope, sharing, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, friendship, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith. This same fight is going on inside you, and inside every other person, too.”

His grandchildren thought about it for a moment, and then one child asked his grandfather, "Which wolf will win?”

The old Cherokee replied simply, “The one you feed.”

8 comments:

FRYBABY said...

Greece??? Now I would love to see the photos you come up with from there!!

KickButtMommy said...

Greece sounds amazing, and I love the parable. I think I am having that battle right now.

Anonymous said...

Aarrgh! Greece?! Come on, Sushicat!

..........but on another note, you create beautiful photos as always! :-)

Anonymous said...

So I've been thinking....I'm the wolf you should feed. Ha ha :-)

Cara said...

Greece sounds fabulous! Live la vida loca for us and take lots of pictures. I can live virtually through your blog.

I'd go outside and listen for the earth's heartbeat right now except I'm living in a frozen tundra at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Last time I was in Greece I was pregnant with Cara. We even did the cruise throughout the Greek Isles. Good stuff. If you head over that way make your travel plans with a layover through Dulles.

Anonymous said...

PS...I feed my wolf with lots of chocolate so he must be a good wolf, right?!!

Kent and Shan said...

Greece sounds totally amazing and I just might have to pay you a visit!! How cool..keep me posted!