4.09.2009

Haiti

The fantail. Love this part of the ship. It's where everyone goes to escape the beige-ness. OK, so maybe I'm the only one escaping the horrible color of the walls, but everyone loves the fresh air and relative quiet altho there is still plenty of noise there too. I haven't heard complete silence since I got here. Don't take it for granted.
Republic of Haiti

I know it is just water but I haven't got tired of looking at it yet.

Wandering the ship the other night we found a lounge chair on one of the decks that is used to store all the donated goods. Can't find me? This is where I'll be hiding.

I was out on the fantail last night after dinner enjoying the fresh air when I noticed a flashing light off in the distance. It took me a second to realize it wasn't a boat, it was a lighthouse. Land. Haiti.

We didn't actually pull in to the port until this morning. I heard the first call to the MAS deck to muster and board the boats to go ashore and the excitement level went up a notch. Right now as I'm typing the helicopter is landing after being gone for about a half hour. It has been coming and going all morning as well as the boats taking in supplies and the first 'boots on the ground' setting up for the clinics tomorrow. The whole ship has been buzzing with this enthusiasm that is so contagious. I woke up this morning for the third morning in a row without the aid of my alarm clock ready to get up and do something. Anything. It's like I've been plugged in to some invisible battery. That, or the amount of carb consumption is propelling me up and down the stairs, but I think it is the feeling of being part of something like this that keeps us all buzzing.

Working with the Chaplain has been a treat. I go to am mornings with him and his staff. We talk about the upcoming day and ways that we can be most useful. I've filled out my paperwork to go onshore sometime next week to do some community stuff including being a part of Project Hand Clasp. {giving out teddy bears to kids}

15 comments:

Vickers said...

You are definitly in the military now. Do you like the way the ship smells? Just curious, after all it is a huge machine and I have spent weeks on military ships.

Bet you will have a gorgeous tan soon. You need inboard access due to inclement weather so become really familiar with the alternate routes aboard.

Sioux said...

My stomach would be doing flip-flops and my heart skipping a beat to be in your shoes and involved in all that is going on around you! I can't wait for the next post - as my ever-so-dull life is being lived through your daily adventures. More...More...More!

jenna marie said...

Vickers, the ship smells like whatever meal we just finished, laundry vents, oil, bug spray, a bunch of people and other weird muggy smells coming off of Haiti. Thanks for asking, I sat here sniffing around looking like a maniac.

I don't think I'll tan, I was outside for maybe 20 minutes earlier and felt like I was getting toasted with the malaria meds I'm on. I carry SPF 275 in my pack. JK

Sioux, my heart skips beats all the time! Especially climbing the stairs. Good thing I'm surrounded by doctors eh?

Talk about high speed internet. In the time it took to load this page to read comments, I read a page of briefing material on Haiti. Take that wireless. Broadband rules!

KickButtMommy said...

Oh Jenna, I love hearing about each day. Glad you have enough time to keep us updated for now. No Surfer Girl yet, but we bought some cute fabric I think you would approve of to make her crib layette!

Cara said...

Way cool adventure. I never did anything that interesting between semesters. It's fun to read about!

Lindee said...

Project Hand Clasp! I'm still so jealous.......that would be a great experience!

Jen said...

You need to keep up these updates. It's so fun to hear what you are doing. It may seem redundant to YOU, but to us not experiencing it, it's pretty dang cool.

Miss ya!
I'm excited for Sunday to come.... :)

FRYBABY said...

I sent you an email today! Hope you get it.

Weather is yucky here and beautiful in St. George!

Looks like you are really making the most of your adventure so far! Love to see the pics!

Grandma says to tell you that your folks got to Seattle okay! We are doing joint comments today!

Anonymous said...

Hi its me Devin. How are you doing? Is it fun? I have to go to sleep so bye, love you

Caty said...

Look at you and your name tag! I love these updates by the way. Love them!

Amy said...

ya, my stomach is sick as can be right now anyways, i cant even imagine being on that ship! yikes! glad your good though! i wanna hand out teddy bears:)

jenna marie said...

I love you too Devin! Thnx for checking my blog out buddy, I miss you!

You'd be fine right now Amy, we aren't rocking at all since we are hanging around in the bay for the next week or so. Except the food might make u more sick?

Love you all!! You don't know how much I love reading comments, keep em coming!

Jeff S said...

So weird to think of you, some where in the ocean. You know, our world is mostly made up of what you now call home.
Oh, and I love how you seemed to just stumble upon this chair.
See if you can't bring it back, :)
What on earth are you eating? I imagine yuckiness, as nothing can be fresh, or do you pick up the local goods at each port?
Man, keep the scoop coming! I am eating it up!

Jeff S said...

oh, its me, Jax, not jeff. Sorry

Jeff S said...

oh, its me, Jax, not jeff. Sorry